hammock tent or tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hello K=G
You sure ask some odd questions! :lmao:
Is that Hammock, tent or tarp? Or Hammock tent, or tarp?
I think most would read it as the former since hammock tents are pretty rare (usually called suspended tents)

Once again, like the water proofing thread, the answer is "It depends". It would help if you posted more information about why you are asking.

Hammocks generally need trees, but don't need flat ground. Tents do need flat-ish ground and don't need trees. Tarps have the least amount of fabric. Are these pros or cons? The answer to that will depend on what you want and where you are.

For stuff like this, Google is your friend.

ATB

Chris

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As Chris says, it will depend on a lot of things - anticipated weather, availability of trees, how level and what type of ground, and, often not mentioned, the numbers of biting insect life :)

If I'm in the uplands or expecting wind, snow, or heavy rain, I always take my tent. Snow has a habit of blowing in from all directions so being able to close a door is useful. Otherwise my preference, on my own, is a tarp and ground sleeping, using a hammock if the terrain is not flat and there are suitable trees. In a prolonged group camp I like the privacy a tent can give though.

The idea of hammock camping is very appealing at first but, for any kind of comfort, you need a tarp, an under-blanket, and a quilt or sleeping bag. In case you can't find suitable trees (and there are many places in the UK where that's the case) you still need to take a sleep mat and some kind of ground covering. Not really a small-pack kit list TBH. Consequently, I only hammock camp in fixed camps (i.e. not backpacking).

Any of the options can be made to be reasonably weatherproof but it's just more work and you need to practice before the need arises. As far as insects go, I usually get away with using a natural insect repellent.

So, in summary, for me:

Upland, winter, or bad weather - tent
Lowland, mild reasonable weather - tarp and ground sleeping (my preference)
Group camp, relaxing in woodland - either of the above or hammock

But that's just my own personal preferences :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
For me, as an older person, I struggle with tents, especially small ones, though in my younger days, I was perfectly happy with a tent.
Then I discovered hammocks. They are perfect for me now, as I don't have to scrabble around on the ground putting it up, taking it down, folding it up, and getting in and out of it. But that's just my aching bones talking.
I find a hammock more comfortable, easier to put up and take down, there is less cover, and I can see to some extent what is happening around me. I've spent many happy mornings watching what I call woodland TV, squirrels, and birds, tree patterns etc, from my comfy bed. You do need trees of a decent size and spacing to be successful using a hammock.
It's a bit of an art with knowledge of how to get the correct "lay" for whatever hammock you have, or it can be uncomfortable. Still, once you've got that knowledge, it's a better experience than a tent in my eyes.
Why not get a tarp to start, you can practice tarpology, making all sorts of shelters, and even a tent with it. Then, if you like the idea of "hanging" get a hammock and an underquilt.. dont scrimp and not get an underquilt or you will be cold!
Depending on which hammock you choose, by the time you have the tarp, hammock underquilt and sleeping bag, it could well be be heavier and more bulky than a tent. But then, on a beautiful night, you are not zipped inside a plastic bag!
It's about what suits you, I know some who won't hammock at all feeling too exposed.
A tarp is great for quick and easy shelter, lighter, and versatile.
Nothing is better than anything else, it's personal preference, and where you plan to go, and what you are doing. A long distance trek, and you would definitely need a tent, a weekend in the woods ,it's a hammock, a couple of nights in good weather, maybe just a tarp.

Reactions: buellzebub

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
Hello K=G
You sure ask some odd questions! :lmao:
Is that Hammock, tent or tarp? Or Hammock tent, or tarp?
I think most would read it as the former since hammock tents are pretty rare (usually called suspended tents)

Once again, like the water proofing thread, the answer is "It depends". It would help if you posted more information about why you are asking.

Hammocks generally need trees, but don't need flat ground. Tents do need flat-ish ground and don't need trees. Tarps have the least amount of fabric. Are these pros or cons? The answer to that will depend on what you want and where you are.

For stuff like this, Google is your friend.

ATB

Chris
thank you i did not know hammock-tents are a thing :cool: now i have another bit of knowledge gained

for general and non specific reasons
As Chris says, it will depend on a lot of things - anticipated weather, availability of trees, how level and what type of ground, and, often not mentioned, the numbers of biting insect life :)

If I'm in the uplands or expecting wind, snow, or heavy rain, I always take my tent. Snow has a habit of blowing in from all directions so being able to close a door is useful. Otherwise my preference, on my own, is a tarp and ground sleeping, using a hammock if the terrain is not flat and there are suitable trees. In a prolonged group camp I like the privacy a tent can give though.

The idea of hammock camping is very appealing at first but, for any kind of comfort, you need a tarp, an under-blanket, and a quilt or sleeping bag. In case you can't find suitable trees (and there are many places in the UK where that's the case) you still need to take a sleep mat and some kind of ground covering. Not really a small-pack kit list TBH. Consequently, I only hammock camp in fixed camps (i.e. not backpacking).

Any of the options can be made to be reasonably weatherproof but it's just more work and you need to practice before the need arises. As far as insects go, I usually get away with using a natural insect repellent.

So, in summary, for me:

Upland, winter, or bad weather - tent
Lowland, mild reasonable weather - tarp and ground sleeping (my preference)
Group camp, relaxing in woodland - either of the above or hammock

But that's just my own personal preferences :)
thank you great useful knowledge
For me, as an older person, I struggle with tents, especially small ones, though in my younger days, I was perfectly happy with a tent.
Then I discovered hammocks. They are perfect for me now, as I don't have to scrabble around on the ground putting it up, taking it down, folding it up, and getting in and out of it. But that's just my aching bones talking.
I find a hammock more comfortable, easier to put up and take down, there is less cover, and I can see to some extent what is happening around me. I've spent many happy mornings watching what I call woodland TV, squirrels, and birds, tree patterns etc, from my comfy bed. You do need trees of a decent size and spacing to be successful using a hammock.
It's a bit of an art with knowledge of how to get the correct "lay" for whatever hammock you have, or it can be uncomfortable. Still, once you've got that knowledge, it's a better experience than a tent in my eyes.
Why not get a tarp to start, you can practice tarpology, making all sorts of shelters, and even a tent with it. Then, if you like the idea of "hanging" get a hammock and an underquilt.. dont scrimp and not get an underquilt or you will be cold!
Depending on which hammock you choose, by the time you have the tarp, hammock underquilt and sleeping bag, it could well be be heavier and more bulky than a tent. But then, on a beautiful night, you are not zipped inside a plastic bag!
It's about what suits you, I know some who won't hammock at all feeling too exposed.
A tarp is great for quick and easy shelter, lighter, and versatile.
Nothing is better than anything else, it's personal preference, and where you plan to go, and what you are doing. A long distance trek, and you would definitely need a tent, a weekend in the woods ,it's a hammock, a couple of nights in good weather, maybe just a tarp.
thank you

i do have both a tent and tarp for experimenting with

bearbait

Perhaps worth taking a look at the Wynnchester Bedroll? It works both as a bivvy bag-like shelter and as a hammock. https://wynnchester.com/products/wynnchester-adventurer-canvas-bedroll

As Woody girl says, she likes to watch "woodland TV" from her hammock; you can do this from the bedroll whether pitched on the ground or as a hammock. And regardless of how you rig it you could still add a tarp for extra shelter / admin space.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Perhaps worth taking a look at the Wynnchester Bedroll? It works both as a bivvy bag-like shelter and as a hammock. https://wynnchester.com/products/wynnchester-adventurer-canvas-bedroll

As Woody girl says, she likes to watch "woodland TV" from her hammock; you can do this from the bedroll whether pitched on the ground or as a hammock. And regardless of how you rig it you could still add a tarp for extra shelter / admin space.
thank you

however at £499.00 is way out of my price range

plus it weighs in at 5KG

wheres my tent 2480g with heavy duty pegs and tarp with extra pegs and cordage 1228g weigh in at a combined weight of 3.708KG a difference of 1.292KG

Reactions: Hammock_man

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The ultimate 'outdoors' sleep on a nice summer's night is just insulated from the ground, wrapped in a wool blanket. Failing that, a modern sleeping bag and, on damp evenings or when there's condensation, in a bivvi bag. A British Army Gore-Tex bag in good condition is between £30 and £40.

Try simple things out locally so you can get home if TSHTF and make up your own mind about what you prefer - there are no rules; just guidelines :)

Reactions: Toddy and TLM

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Wynnchester at 500 quid !! How can these be an answer to someone "wondering" about tent or hammock? It may well be a great final answer for some one but as a stop gap while you think, 500 notes just seems over the top. {NOT a flame just a tightwad talking}

Reactions: knowledge=gain

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Wynnchester at 500 quid !! How can these be an answer to someone "wondering" about tent or hammock? It may well be a great final answer for some one but as a stop gap while you think, 500 notes just seems over the top. {NOT a flame just a tightwad talking}
albeit British made

for being a human sausage

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My chief concern is to get out of the wind, then I can think straight. A tent with a floor and fly screens. Keeps out the bugs and the snakes.
The old one from 1969 was ripstop nylon to sleep 3 in a pinch. Rainfly over top for rain, frost, snow and sunscreen. Up with just 2 trekking poles, saplings or a cord between two trees. Tall enough to at least kneel inside. Needs to belong enough for storage and living. Recreation Equipment Inc. Seattle.

Next one should be 6' x 9', zipper doors both ends, A-frame shape (2 poles) and at least 5' high at the ridge. A couple of bin-bag storage pockets half-way up the sides would be nice. Very much bigger rain fly extensions to sit under. I need a bedsheet prototype to clear my fuzzy thinking moments.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
It's like comparing a sports car, a van and a limo. 3 totally different shelter SYSTEMS.

In reality any advanced outdoorsman owns and rotates between all three depending on the environment and mission parameters. So instead of asking which is better or what are the pros and cons, you should ask yourself which system is most suitable for the terrain you are expecting.

Where hammock excels there is normally very little flat space for a tent (of equal living space) and/or it's too hot/humid.
Often good tent territory have harsh, side blowing elements that render hammocking very difficult.
Nothing beats the size, weight and flexibility of the tarp so that's your best "fast and light" option.

There is a million threads on the internet trying to compare all three, they all go nowhere because tent and hammocks and tarps are not comparable.

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
It's like comparing a sports car, a van and a limo. 3 totally different shelter SYSTEMS.

In reality any advanced outdoorsman owns and rotates between all three depending on the environment and mission parameters. So instead of asking which is better or what are the pros and cons, you should ask yourself which system is most suitable for the terrain you are expecting.

Where hammock excels there is normally very little flat space for a tent (of equal living space) and/or it's too hot/humid.
Often good tent territory have harsh, side blowing elements that render hammocking very difficult.
Nothing beats the size, weight and flexibility of the tarp so that's your best "fast and light" option.

There is a million threads on the internet trying to compare all three, they all go nowhere because tent and hammocks and tarps are not comparable.
thank you

that is the optimal answer and with questions i should of used yet i did not think of them

it is no wonder i was drawn for this forum as i have found great knowledgeable friendly warm welcoming folk who not only have the answers or point in the right direction also help me comprehend the questions that are needed
Big monster, I love the Sports car, Van, Limo thing. Problem is I only have a bus pass!

{ Only joking I have one of your limo Easyhammocks! }
that is a great analogy for sure

Reactions: BigMonster

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
I have spend months in a hammock and haven't been in a tent for a very long time, so i might be biased :)

some pro's of a hammock:
- You're able to look around, and have contact with your surroundings, seeing the stars at night is really nice
- A hammock (especially a bridge hammock) is very comfortable.
- A hammock has better ventilation, so less chance on damp clothes, sleepingbag etc. and when the sun comes up a tent can warm up pretty quick.

some cons of a hammock:
- some people feel "unsafe" in a hammock
- you need to store your gear in a (waterproof) bag on the ground
- When the wind blows the trees move and so is the hammock, i like that, but i know people who cannot get used to it and wake up from the movement.
- when it gets cold you need to sleep with gloves and something over your head

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
some cons of a hammock:
- you need to store your gear in a (waterproof) bag on the ground
…unless you have a gear hammock, or your hammock length vs tarp length allows you to suspend your pack from the hammock suspension. My new 11foot hammock doesn’t allow much tarp cover for suspended bags, but my previous hammock was shorter and that worked well. However, a gear hammock is a huge improvement and really changes the feel of a hammock camp.
I try to have all my gear off the ground, which is good for keeping out pests, but also keeps kit drier, less humidity up off the ground.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE