Hammock and tarp setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
No time to practise MountainM, more than I have already... set off in less than 12 hours and according to my lad, I'm old and need sleep :) And yep, hoping Dave is going to be my Obi Wan for the weekend... already been on a blacksmithing course so this should be the next level. I just hope I don't embarrass myself with my lack of coordination.

I'll have a lot of gear I won't use, but the important kit is there I think... I have cooking gear, firelighting gear with a back up of a gas stove, sleeping bag, under blanket for the bum warming and the tarp n hammock. I also have 2 spare tarps, a first aid kit, a shiser shovel, 5 days supply of food and enough alcohol to get a platoon drunk. All the important items covered along with the knife and the folding saw!

Mick, I over prepare for everything, I over plan. I know I do it. I have the route to Daves (over 250 miles) planned in detail, with emergency routes and contingency plans for any extended delays. I'm suited and booted for the weekend, and with reference to the other half... she found it hilarious to tickle me through the hammock earlier while I frantically tried to find the zip. She's a good girl to me, but she knows when to get me :)

This is an admission, but in the car will be a spare two man tent, water supplies and an additional 2 days worth of rations... and yes, I know that makes me border line insane, but I share something with Lofty Wiseman. I once nearly starved and I swore I would never again go hungry... so while my knowledge may lack with the bushcraft right now, my debit card can pay for emergency supplies just in case! :eek:

Damn, reading that back as I just did, you'd think I was going on a trek to Antarctica!!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
On insulation underblankets are ideal, but in my experience a piece of carpet underlay will work in a pinch and if you don't have an underblanket I reccomend it highly

I'm using a folded fleece blanket under a mummy sleeping bag... with the backup of a foil-side pad that is supporting my pack. I'll try the first night without and if I feel like I've dropped my pants in a hurricane, I'll add the pad :)

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
No such thing as over prepared. And almost starving will do that to you. I once went hypothermic camping and don't take the risk with that anymore either. I keep lifeboat rations in my pack at all times as well as packing everything I need to get out of dodge if I need to including signal flares and a spare phone battery. I once got caught in the tide in heavy fog on the marsh at holy island while shooting geese and thought I was going to drown, what I wouldn't have done for a flare! Luckily someone herd my banging off every cartridge I had as a distress signal and hauled me out. Packing light is all well and good, but packing safe is a much better idea!

Last edited by a moderator:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
We could do with a night round a camp fire Mick... be a natter and a half!

Dave will probably tell of the man who arrives with more backups than a Microsoft test department... but hopefully I'll have what I need for the weekend and a bit besides incase the zombie apocalypse happens ;)

How many spare AA batteries can one man carry? We'll find out later today :)

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Some other ideas of stuff to take :)

Wash kit
Spare clothing
Warm layer
Waterproof layer
Torch/headlight
Snacks, Dave doesn't always stop for lunch !
Brew kit
Spare batteries you've mentioned
Water is from a water butt that collects rainwater from the corrugated sheeting roof, then boild up in the kettle over the forge, but take a suitable filter or similar or carry in some drinking water if you might want some once the forge is out and the kettle dry, although I guess you can cook some up yourself from the waterbutt of an evening/morning.

I'm sure there's other stuff too that I've forgotten but I always think that !

Oh, and don't forget to keep the charcoal pile in the forge nice and tidy, Dave hates waste and mess, so tidy it up in use every ten seconds or so or he'll be after you :)

Have a great time and take plenty of pics for us.

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE