Guy Grieve - Call of the wild - fantastic read

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 2, 2007
South London
Guy Grieve - Call of the wild
I cant remember who recomended this book as a good read, But thanks all the same. I got it on Tuesday and havnt been able to put it down since. Just finished it.

I realy enjoyed it.

Can anyone recomend any similar books based on real adventures in Europe?

Gordon

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi,
Whilst overall I enjoyed the book I felt it was a little light on detail and too heavy on how much he missed his Wife and family.
Some of the practical stuff was fine but I wanted more on his log cabin building and food gathering.
The dog sledding was excellent though.
Tack

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Tack said:
Hi,
Whilst overall I enjoyed the book I felt it was a little light on detail and too heavy on how much he missed his Wife and family.
Some of the practical stuff was fine but I wanted more on his log cabin building and food gathering.
The dog sledding was excellent though.
Tack
I think that's a little harsh on him. I agree it is a great read but I also think he was trying to genuinely express how he felt and convey what it was like for him in Akaska. I think he did miss his wife and family and the book was never meant to be a 'how to survive in the Alaskan Wilderness' kind of book :rolleyes:

Feb 2, 2007
South London
Thats bit of a wait?
I got mine within a couple of days from amazon.
There were several listings, some out of stock other editions in stock.
I think I must have got mine through one of the associated traders on amazon.
Maybe you could cancel your existing order and switch to one of the editions in stock.

Gordon

Mar 18, 2007
moray scotland
I read the book last year and wasnt able to put it down! Found it inspirational stuff! I emailed Guy through the publisher telling him how much I enjoyed the book, so how chuffed was I when Guy rang me to thank me for the comments!! He came across as a nice fella and genuine. I dare say not many authors would take time to respond to emails! :D :D :D

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I've just finished reading this and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not much of a dog person but his relationship with Fuzzy, his companion dog, and with his sled team convinced me I should be more appreciative of our canine friends.

I too got a bit bored of his self reflection in relation to his wife and family. Yes, we know he missed them but I was more interested in the day-to-day stuff.

In contrast I just tried watching The Last Trapper on Youtube. It is shockingly bad. The pictures are excellent but it's all so very fake. I think much of the dialogue is dubbed over and I can't work out if his wife is really called Nebraska or May Loo (as she is credited on IMDB).

Give me Dick Proenneke any day!

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Very good read and also have The Wild Gourmets he did with Thomasina Miers which I find a good reference guide to wild cooking.
Another good read is The Last Of The Gentleman Adventurers by Edward Beauclerk Maurice. Written about his life working for the Hudson's Bay Company whilst living with the Eskimo in the 1930s.
Great read and gives a real insight into their way of life.
The Shining Levels by John Wyatt is another favourite.
The list will no doubt go on.
Riven.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE