"Guelder rose" Berries?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi It was mentioned on Gardeners world yesterday that you can eat "Guelder rose" Berries, anyone know about them?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep, much for the best to cook them first though,

I've always eaten foods such as these but I'm finding that stuff I happily munch other folks can only eat if cooked, so that's what I'm telling folks to do now. Public forum, best be safe.

They cook kind of like redcurrants.

I'm sure there was a thread a couple of years ago about them, and there were recipes.

It's been a brilliant year for fruit :D

cheers,
M

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I tried a few when I was out beating yesterday, they are full of a disgusting clear snot, but fill your boots, you might like them ;)

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Do a websearch for Russian/Bashkir cuisine using Guelder Rose:

Guelder-Rose Berry Drink
2 cups guelder-rose berries
3 tbsp sugar
1 liter boiled water Directions:
Clean berries, mince, pour with cold boiled water and let to infuse for 12 hours. Filter the drink and add sugar.

Guilder rose kissel
Ingredients:
100 g guelder rose berries
0.5 cupful sugar
2 tblsps potato flour

Directions:
Sort the fresh berries, wash, add some water, close with a lid and set aside for an hour. Then press the berries through a sieve, remove the stones, pour in hot water, add the sugar, mix and bring to a boil. Pour in the dissolved potato flour and bring to a boil again.

Guelder-Rose Pie
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 lb (700-800 gm) yeast dough
3 cups (500 gm) guelder-rose berries
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp honey Directions:
Cut yeast dough
into 2 unequal parts. Roll the bigger part out and put it on a buttered frying pan. Put guelder-rose berries mixed with sugar and honey in the center of it and spread the stuffing evenly on rolled dough. Roll the smaller part out and cover the pie with it. Dock the sides together and tweak them.

Decorate the top of the pie with dough leaves. Brush it with egg and water mix before baking.

Bake it in an oven at 460-480oF (240-250oC) for 30 minutes.

Kissel Of Stewed Guelder-Rose Berries
1 cup guelder-rose berries
2 cups sugar
3 tsp starch
1 1/5 gallon (4 1/2 l) water Directions:
Rinse and stem the berries, put into a saucepan, add 2 cups of water, cover and stew in oven at 250oF (100-120oC)
Sieve stewed berries, add 3 cups of hot water, bring to the boil.

Dissolve the starch in a cup of cold water, stir until dissolved completely. Gradually add the starch to the mixture, stirring all the time.

Bring to the boil, pour out to glasses or bowls, leave to cool.

When serving top with leaves of mellissa.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE