Growing Fomes fomentarius

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Toddy:

Do you have this other kind of fungus - that works as char right off the tree? It is mostly dark brown and the top is crumbling and black. It is a lot more rare in our area than the fomen stuff, and I grab it whenever I see it. Grows on birches and other dead trees like the fomen stuff.

I've only got a little piece of it right now, but I'll try to do a photo.

PG

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You guys really got me thinking today, so before our regular tramp through the woods, I checked some of the links and found out what this fomes looks like and where to look.

Anyway, I found something that looks right so I brought some home. Could one of you more experienced "fun guys" (sorry) confirm what I have here please?

fungus1xh.jpg

Red

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Toddy said:
It seems that there are as many ways of preparing fomes as there are fish in the sea :rolleyes: I agree though that sliced and charred it works very well.

I do seperate out the rather corky layer and boil it up, then while it's still wet I pound it with a stone until it's like a bit of felt.

Cheers,
Toddy

So I should have looked here instead of starting a thread on Firecraft :banghead:
I will try to find some again and boil and beat it.
cheers
Alex

AlbeoLupus

Forager
Toddy said:
I can see no other reason for boiling fomes in the first place than for a dyebath. It's inedible so it's not for cooking it, it's not a good medicine, and it's not a fertilizer or a cosmetic. But it does give me a good green dye on wool :)
Toddy

OK Going off topic for a second (if a mod wants to move this to a new thread thats ok with me ;) )

Toddy

How much is needed for dying?
Whats the green like?
What do you use to 'fix' the colour?

This is me with my medeaval re-enactors head on :)

Andy :cool:

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
British Red said:
You guys really got me thinking today, so before our regular tramp through the woods, I checked some of the links and found out what this fomes looks like and where to look.

Anyway, I found something that looks right so I brought some home. Could one of you more experienced "fun guys" (sorry) confirm what I have here please?

fungus1xh.jpg

Red

Hi Red, looks like horse hoof to me, but to be doubly sure, stick the pick on the Fungi section, and someone will confirm for you mate.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
pierre girard said:
Toddy:

Do you have this other kind of fungus - that works as char right off the tree? It is mostly dark brown and the top is crumbling and black. It is a lot more rare in our area than the fomen stuff, and I grab it whenever I see it. Grows on birches and other dead trees like the fomen stuff.

I've only got a little piece of it right now, but I'll try to do a photo.
PG

Do you mean the true tinder fungus? I don't find it, but I know of a couple of others who have, but not in the woods around me. I live in central Scotland and it's very wet here, sometimes that inhibits particular fungi.
Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
JFW said:
Toddy,

was this the circular "hide" material that you had at the Plean meet? I thought it was a piece of leather. Did you just boil it in water or did you add wood ash?

Cheers

JFW

By the time you got to play we'd used the fomes; the circular piece I was using as the coal-catch on the damp (okay, it was sploongin wet!) leaf litter was leather. I just boiled the fomes in water, sometimes I use ammonia to *pull* a reluctant dye but I don't bother with this one.
Cheers,
Toddy

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have a fungus similar to that picture, maybe a darker top, has (had) a very white underneath, dried it for a while by the fire and it took a spark and smouldered for ages no other prep was necessary apart from scraping the felty part a bit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fomes is good stuff. It's hard to cut out the inner layer neatly though...patience, a good sharp knife and an old breadboard help :rolleyes:
I use a potato peeler to take off most of the thin, hard, crispy outer layer, then I pick off the little shards that are left with a sharp knife.
Then I start cutting out the fibrous inner part which makes up the bulk of the fungus. This layer will cut up incredibly finely and once it's alight it will happily glow away, it doesn't blow out but won't burst into flame either.

The layer directly under the crispy bit *ought* to be the felty layer that's kept intact (if possible, it's not easy to cut it out) for catching sparks on. The rest of the fungus I just cut up small and use to hold a glowing ember, I usually add it to the bag of fire tinder.
When I'm teaching I hollow out a little bowl shape, maybe a cm deep and about the size of an old penny wide in the flat underside. If you can get a glowing ember into this it'll keep it burning for literally hours, it'll eventually burn it's way through the fungus but it's how folks used to carry fire around; just tie on a string and keep the air moving around it.

For dyeing I open up the fungus, usually three hand sized ones will dye enough wool for a dozen hanks...sorry no real equivalents :confused: ..... I need to do some weighing......I generally just use either an iron or a copper pot for the dyebath and boil the stuff up for a couple of hours then strain and bring the wool up to temperature in the dye liquor. I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S. technology :rolleyes: :D
I have photos, I'll pester one of my technical reference manuals to post them tomorrow. The colours are soft, dark greens....quite bushcrafty really :) and eminently suitable for medieval clothing.

Thanks for all of the information folks...... it's a good idea......pick one fungus every so often and we all throw in our tuppences worth.
Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:eek: :eek: Sorry folks it's just been one of those weeks. It took me longer than I expected to dig the dried stuff out of the shed and it's been so wet I only have two really fresh ones. Soooo, everyone gets some dried and a bit of the fresh, but I'll gather more fresh later in the year when it's actually sporing and send it then to the folks who want to try growing it. I've also put in a bit of the Betulina piptoporus too; it's good to keep a glow but it's burns with a black oily looking smoke, not recommended indoors.
All bagged up, labelled and ready to go tomorrow....I was going to walk down to the P.O. today but it's pouring again and I'm finally catching up on the paper work while sitting with a mug of hot chocolate, and the cat's snoozing blissed out on my lap. :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Reactions: Longstrider

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
My fungi arrived over the last few days whilst I was away. Thank you Toddy ! :You_Rock_

I'll be re-reading the "How to prepare" threads again and I'll be giving it a bash on my next set of days off.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mine came this week too. Thx Toddy

Now to make a mess...might wait till my finger heals from spoon carving :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE