Growing flax

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Was considering growing some flax. What is the best way to do this?

I live in Norfolk, UK. The soil here is clay but the topsoil is good. I have access to lots and lots of horse poo.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Took a notion to it, did you? :)
I only grow it in pot loads but I think Shadow 57 grows more, I know he posted some excellent photos of the processing.
It seems to grow best if sown thickly, makes for long stems, stretching for the light....I aim for 4 seeds per square centimetre in the pots usually in late February early March, and I pull it up from late July through until September. It needs to be kept damp while growing, if the pots dry out it sets seed and dies before the stems are as long as possible. I believe it likes moist, fertile soil in field or garden.
I only grow enough to learn how to process and show the stages involved. I use so much of the fibre for workshops that I buy it in.

Cheers,
Toddy

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Hello.

I grow flax each year . It seems to grow better in a big pot of normal compost from the garden centre.

Sow it thickly, around about April ....then some in .May ..then some in June in different pots to see which grows the best.

It likes lots of sun and water :D :D :D

John

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
A farmer friend of mine grew about 15 acres of flax about three years ago.Very colourful too. He has a parcel of land not subject to grant subsidy and consequently experiments with different crops from time to time. The flax was harvested in the normal way,but the straw was left on the ground for quite a time to 'RET' (not sure of the spelling) This retting process allowed certain fibres to break down and consequently leave mainly the stringy fibres which are the important ones in the weaving process. I seem to remember a couple of months passing! I think that this saved a lot of mechanical processing which would damage the fibres and produce yet another pile of waste to turn into either dog food ar animal bedding!
Last years trail was a grass for silage/ haylage. This is still ongoing. Swyn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE