Grohmann Original #1 Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

theorsmeister

OK, I know BCUK did a review of the boat knife, but this is another one in the range.

So, here's the knife - www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r1s.html

I got it from Colonial knives, (very poor service, took months to deliver, but there're the only Grohmann importer in the UK, or so I believe)

It arrived and I was taken aback by its beauty. So well crafted, (by hand) I gather and only £60, (plus p&p).

The knife handle is a lovely rosewood, they do variants, including an xtra water resistant one, but the normal rosewood did me fine. It is triple rivetted and has a lanyard hole. Very comfortable and allows for mulitple grips.

The blade has a secondary bevel, they do a flat grind which is good, but mine often gets rough treatment, so I thougth I'd go for the extra strength.

It is a gentle elipse, never seen a blade quite like it, very easy to use, it also is set of so it is slightly infront of the handle, (great of batonning).

There is a nice little grip on the back of the blade, (good for carving, but the grip isnt quite rough enough for your thumb to really stick to it.

The carbon steel, as is the one I got, sharpens suberbly well, although it doesnt have loads of edge retention, it is stilll quite substantial. There isnt a hint of tarnish on the blade after a year of "rough treatment".

I oil it and look after it so that could be why.

I would recommend stainless to a buyer, but that's just for the extra edge retention, and a flat grind one would have a lot of uses (particularly for carving).

The sheath is rivetted, stiched and glue and is damn strong!!

Tough as nails, and the knife doesnt slide out, (as a friend of mine's knife did), indeed the knife stays firmly in, they do sheaths with closeable tops, but the normal one is great.

It was a little light in colour on reaching me, so I applied a little linseed oil just to darken the leather (personal preference, not a design fault).

Great knife;

Price - 99%
Looks - 90%
Edge retention - 70%
All round - 90%

Highly recommend it,

any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers!!

M

michael

I have one of those myself, you did not mention anything in detail, it is a really nice knife so you ought to add some thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE