Grim prospects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I think most people with a bit of sense can see that the contemporary Western "lifestyle" is pretty unsustainable, and whether as a consequence of increasing globalisation, it begins to erode, through climate problems, acts of terrorism, breakdown in society, pressure from the emergent Eastern economies or a combination of these, it becomes apparent that people with the knowledge and resources to deal with this will cope, those that rely on a system to provide for them may not.
I do not think that this will take place on a globaly catestrophic level, but it seems to be happening already, the floods in New Orleans showed that the social group that suffered the most was the poorest, and least well equipped to escape their predicament. The breakdown of law and order in France again is a reaction from the most socially deprived, both groups heavilly relliant on the various "systems" to look after them .
I enjoy developing bushcraft skills because they are great fun, but increasingly it is playing on my mind that they could be put to the test for real. Am I just paranoid? They do say that any society is only three square meals away from anarchy.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
hi twelveboar
I personnally dont think your being paranoid. more like realising the possible outcome to recent global events and recognising that the skills you have acquired and used as a recreational pastime, may in fact , be required to endure and overcome any possible rammifications of global warming,rising sea levels or oil depletion. what im saying is that your WISE not paranoid. :)

tom

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
Not paranoid at all, it only takes a small hicough in a finely balanced system for it to become a catastrophic failure.

There is already talk of a 3 day week for small businesses due to the cost of imported gas from Germany and France. The UK only has 11 days worth of stored gas due to restrictions in planning permission not allowing new gas storage facilities being created.

best start buying candles and stockpiling the firewood LOL

Greywolf

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
Thanks Tom,
I appreciate the vote of confidence, for a while now I've been increasingly worried by what a lot of people seemed to think as normal. It started as a sort of intellectual exercise when I decided to work out how much money I actually spent in order to have the dubious honour of earning some more. Beware anyone trying this, but when I began to total up the cost of running a vehicle ( this is enormous when you start including depreciation, parking charges, lost time for servicing/repairs/travelling time and so on in addition to the more obvious taxes, insurance and fuel), buying clothes, shaving gear, food bought out through consequence etc. it began to mount up, that was without going to the fine detail such as electricity to light the house first thing so I could get ready in the dark. The result was that I realised I was spending a significant proportion of my wage just to earn a wage! It wasn't like I enjoyed the job.
I resolved to try at every point to simplify my life, I have a new but considerably worse paid job. It is much more physically demanding but I enjoy it more? Probably because I can do it looking like a tramp and it's only 20 minutes away
I've decided that money spent on tools is an investment if it means I can do something more for myself and if I want somethig, how close can I get to making it or even some of it myself. I know this doesn't have much to do with bushcraft, really, but to me bushcraft and self reliance are almost the same thing.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
how close can I get to making it or even some of it myself. I know this doesn't have much to do with bushcraft said:
in mho I believe this has a lot to do with bushcraft!!! as it is the ability to use what you have and to improvise / make what you need.. if the power and gas goes off a bushcrafter can go into the garden / yard and make a fire for cooking and making brews on we can live without elctric light. we know how to keep warm and dry outside others may sit in houses in darkness and freeze but not us we have the mindset to improvise.or go hungry coz the microwave doesnt work.

nuff sed

tom :beerchug:

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I'm very wary of anyone trying to predict the future. People are notoriously bad at it, because there are a squillion variables to consider. We can't presict which horse will win a race, but we think we can predict which social, economic, or whatever trend is going to decide the future of the world? Remember that we're all the supposed to be wearing white jump suits and driving flying cars now.

It also seems like there is a simple split between optimists thinking everything will be fine, and pessimists who believe that the world is 'going downhill.' I think it's worth remembering that we have the solutions to most of societies problems to hand, and whether or not we use them whilst the opportunity is with us will depend people and events that we can't predict.

One final point: if you think bushcraft skills would keep you alive in britain when 58 million others are 100% dependent on stealing food for survival, you're likely to be mistaken. My suggestion is to get a yacht and be ready to head to sea. Only if you get the skills to survive in greenland, or some other place where noone else would go, could expect to live through a big collapse. Get yourselves some mittens, it's chilly up there.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Predicting the future is hopeless, but here they probably are right. Everything in our society is founded on cheap oil. Even sustainable energy and products are so. It is common knowledge that our oil is running out. But everyone seems to ignore this and hope that there will be a solution.

Some would likely survive in Britain as well, but I consider my chances to be considerably greater here in Norway. Finding a good hunting ground and defending it by every means may be neccesary even if you are here. Taking on a ranger role in that area so everyone doesn't poach the reindeer, moose and roe deer populations to extinction would be a good idea. Thinking long term always pay off. Establishing a community would offer greater protection.

Most city dwellers would certainly die. The wars would be fought amongst those who can adapt quickly, including the ones skilled in bushcraft. The resources are limited, the overpopulated Europe would for once probably suffer the most.

Torjus Gaaren

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE