Greek Fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firemaker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 26, 2005
Minnesota, USA
stores.ebay.com
Is anyone here familiar with the Greek Fire Method? I am wondering if anyone has tried this out.

"...a flammable composition believed to have consisted of sulfur, naphtha, and quicklime. Although known in antiquity, it was first employed on a large scale by the Byzantines. Bronze tubes that emitted jets of liquid fire were mounted on the prows of their galleys and on the walls of Constantinople. The Byzantines in 678 and again in 717–18 destroyed two Saracen fleets with Greek fire..."

http://www.answers.com/topic/greek-fire

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
ther ws a progmam on tv last week. some historian made what he believed it was . totaly lethal, even on water

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
" I love the smell of napalm in the morning":D

I bet it doesn't clear your tubes as well as CS. Does anyone know for sure? Perhaps one of our US cousins?

George:beerchug:

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
" I love the smell of napalm in the morning":D

I bet it doesn't clear your tubes as well as CS. Does anyone know for sure? Perhaps one of our US cousins?

George:beerchug:

my youngest, Teaboy not Lostboy, keeps making napalm for me. I had a bad accident with petrol a few years ago, third degree burns to my left hand. Teaboy recons that the napalm would have been safer than petrol for the stupidity i was engaged in; trying to light a damp fire. the napalm would have stuck to the sticks, not poured over me.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
my youngest, Teaboy not Lostboy, keeps making napalm for me. I had a bad accident with petrol a few years ago, third degree burns to my left hand. Teaboy recons that the napalm would have been safer than petrol for the stupidity i was engaged in; trying to light a damp fire. the napalm would have stuck to the sticks, not poured over me.

Would that be the egg white or the polystyrene variety?

Seriously though, wouldn't it be easier to us bbq lighter bricks, or gel? Or a bit of old tyre...

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
there's always the possibility that the napalm would have stuck to your hands too ;)

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Greek Fire was just burnable oil that had been thickened up a bit with other compounds - jellied. Napalm is just jellied gasoline. But in both cases you still need an open flame to ignite it. The other compounds just helped the flamible oils to stick on most anything they touched.

But also remember that old 1970's phrase from that SE Asian war: Napalm sticks to kids! Some people still go ballistic (or "postal" in modern slang) when they see you wearing the T-shirt with that on it.

An old vehicle tire works great to help get a brush pile burning when cleaning up on the farm. But it is also against local DNR (Dept of Natural Resources) regulations. And using diesel fuel or home heating oil works better than gasoline to also get that brush pile burning. And with far less danger. It is far less ... explosive ... when mixed with air.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith (and pyro) out in the Hinterlands

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A little while ago someone posted a link to a YouTube video of someone lighting a brush pile with petrol. It was certainly spectacular.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
The legend and myth of Greek Fire has fascinated scientists, historians and story tellers alike for centuries. The hardest part of reconstructing it has been getting it to work underwater. Many reports have it working with a higher ferocity underwater than above. So unfortunately even with the best of intentions, we still haven't copied it as the stories have told us.

Nag.

Dec 3, 2008
France
Naphtha is just a Greek to English transliteration of the Arabic word for crude oil or tar, naft. I've always assumed that Greek Fire was primarily surface tar deposits mixed with something that would burn in a breeze, eg, sulphur, and lobbed from a siege catapult or similar. It makes more sense than chucking blazing moth balls around anyway :))

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE