Gorilla pod review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Today I went and got myself an upgrade from the rather useless though sometimes handy jessops mini tripod.

I have to say it's a bushcrafters dream if you like taking pics when your out.

Heres the official site (I think) with a few variations of how it can be used.

http://www.joby.com/gallery.html

I have been trying it out around the house and so far have sucessfully wrapped it around the folowing...

The actual side of a 2 litre bottle of absolute
Side and top of an empty glass
Drawer handles (horizontally alligned)
Wardrobe handles (vertically alligned)
Laptop top above middle
Laptop sticking off the top corner, with screen edge in line vertically with inner side of camera edge...(hope that makes sense)
Deliberatly greased (sunflower oil) chair arm side of spinning chair...
On top of my meindl borno's
On the side but almost centred on a very nearly empty pringles can
On top of an opened drawer
Sticking out the side of my vertically stacked pile of books (very impressed with this grip, it's point of contacts here are on the top edge of 1..a 3 inch thick book, 2..horizontally along the book below which sticks out a bit and 3.. the edge around the relative corner of the book below...WOW

I just had to call a mate there and mentioned it to him (not the reason for the call) and ha challenged me to find something it wont fit around....
Heres what I tested...

A free dangling skipping rope leather (4-5mm thick) (camera horizontally alligned)

Bathroom dangling light cord without the use of a wall this didn't work but I think and I am being honest here it probably could if you got the right balance.

The side of a free standing mirror 3.5mm thick by the look of it.

It contains a very small locking feature attachment which is removable, with it on the camera it fits in the case the camera is in without even being noticable. attaches easily to the tripod.
It does seem to be very durable material but the catch which attaches locking bit to tripod may get damaged if your extremely rough with it.

Right now I just put it back to the book shelf and it's balancing over the edge of the one three inch thick book....
Okay it just fell off the one book, but still fits perfectly over the two book set up...

I think this tripod is my best photocamera accessory investment to date.

I recommend any and everyone to go out and test one for them selves.

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
8thsinner,

I've got the larger one of these gorilla pods, bought from Tony on the christmas moot, it's a great piece of kit.
Simple to use, and you can wrap the tripod safely around most things, very handy when out and about, especially on close ups using macro, nicely hands free and no shaking!

If you're into your photography, one of these pods is a very good addition to your camera kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE