Goretex or MVP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
I hope one of the forces lads can sort me out here, I have bought a DPM smock off ebay, it was listed as Goretex, but there is no mention of this on the label, only MVP (MVP - Moisture Vapour Permeable) . I know Goretex is a trade name i.e. GORE-TEX®, GORE® and designs are trademarks of W. L. Gore & Associates, but are these the same, I thought i read somewhere that the older jackets were MVP but the latest issue are "proper" goretex. Any ideas ?

Would this be genuine goretex ?http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr1577.html

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Aragorn,

It shouldn't make much of a difference. We live in a highly capitalistic society where big labels charge big money for their products. I'm as much of a sucker as the rest, I spent $70 dollars last week on a pair of Levi's because I like the name. Denim is denim, isn't it?

In answer to your question:

MVP is as you say, moisture vapour permeable. As of today, there are two seperate schools of thought in regards to WPB (waterproof breathable) membrane garments.

1) Microporous garments: These include Gore-Tex, Columbia's vaunted Omnitech, and I believe Mountain Hardware. The membrane contains billions of microscopic pores that are too small for water to enter, but large enough for perspiration to escape. Other than the limited useful life of DWR (durable water repellency's) their only drawback is that the pores are easily clogged with dirt, grime, and sweat.

2) Monolithic: Other than Burlington Industries XALT and Peter Storm's outwear, I don't know another company that uses them. (If anyone does, please let me know!) They're non-porous, and work by a hydrophobic/hydrophillic reaction that occurs in the membrane. Don't ask me to explain it, it's too complicated to type out after a long day!

Essentially what I'm getting at here is that it shouldn't really matter what sort of MVP garment you're purchasing. Gore-Tex doesn't have quite the market monopoly that it once did, and there are innumerable smaller garment manufacturers out there charging far less for an equally useful product. Heck, I don't even use Gore-Tex anymore. My current WPB garment is made by Toray Entrant, and as much as I prefer Ventile, Entrant does a better job at keeping me dry than Gore-Tex and the jacket was a sight less expensive.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Adam

MikeDB

Jack in the Green
Dec 13, 2005
East Yorkshire
Aragorn said:
I hope one of the forces lads can sort me out here, I have bought a DPM smock off ebay, it was listed as Goretex, but there is no mention of this on the label, only MVP (MVP - Moisture Vapour Permeable) . I know Goretex is a trade name i.e. GORE-TEX®, GORE® and designs are trademarks of W. L. Gore & Associates, but are these the same, I thought i read somewhere that the older jackets were MVP but the latest issue are "proper" goretex. Any ideas ?

Would this be genuine goretex ?http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr1577.html

Without going into the differences between the fabrics, if the seller is using the Goretex logo then it should be real, simple as that. I had an issue DPM Smock in Goretex and the jacket was labelled as such.

Mike

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I know, I was being sarcastic. Honestly, even though Levi's are expensive, the quality's a lot better than most other denim companies around. I that guess if you've been making a product since the Gold Rush in the 19th century, chances are you're doing something right.

Adam

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi mate,

The one in the link is MVP, the hood rolls away in the collar, worn mine in some fairly poor conditions and stayed pretty dry. Good for the price. The jacket issued before this was Gore Tex as far as I can remember and there is a newer version I think that is Gore Tex but the price of them is a lot higher, as seen here

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Silver/docs/topframe.htm

Hope that helps mate

Brian

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Spacemonkey said:
I think a lot of people describe MVPs as Goretex in the same way we call vacuum cleaners 'Hoovers'. Basically mate, the MOD stuff whether it is MVP or actually labelled as Goretex, they all work fine.

This is fine as long as you are not selling it as gore-tex.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE