Goretex Bivi Bag Mod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Hey,

I intend to put a zip right down the centre of my bivi bag about 4 feet long, so does anyone know where I can get a four foot zip from?

Thanks, Jake.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
capacious said:
Hey,

I intend to put a zip right down the centre of my bivi bag about 4 feet long,

Thanks, Jake.

Does it need to be as long as 4 feet? It might be worthwhile testing out how long a zip you need by playing around with your sleeping bag zip. Measure twice and cut once and all that.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'd tend to agree. Unless you were going to manufacture some sort of storm flap, and then you have to tape seal all the seams...

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I would do this if I didn't want my bivvy bag to be waterproof anymore!
Not a good idea unless you only plan to use it under a tarp or in a tent.

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Yeah, I'm probably only gona use it under a tarp, unless it is too windy :rolleyes: . And I do intend to both seal the seams AND put on a storm flap. And if the weather is reeeally bad, all I need do is turn the bag over so the zip is on the ground - if the weather was that bad, I wouldn't want to be getting in and out of the bag all that much anyway, and the draw cord would be pulled completely closed, so it really dosn't make all that much difference which way up the bag is (I have thought this through, despite what some of you may be thinking :p )

Thanks for all the replies, Jake.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I've had this done having taken on board the words of caution. I went ahead on the basis that I'm under a basha which I've slept under in steady rain (albeit not a squally storm) without even lowering the sides to the floor and didn't get any water on the bag. So I've taken the risk in order to make it easier to use the bag while still having a fallback position of lowering the sides. By the way the longest zip we could obtain was 32" though I don't know where it came from.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've Modded one of the original pattern MOD bivi bags to be a single hopped bivvy with a wide zipped opening and midgie screen. It requires a lot of patience and someone good on a pretty hefty sewing machine. Looking at everyone else's reply I can see peoples concerns with piercing the bivvy bag but as long as all the seams are sealed with good sealing tape it's fine. Ain't had a leak yet. Point north provided all my kit, rod for hoop, extra gore-tex, midge screen and sealing tape. If you haven't done it already iron the sealing tape on using a piece of printer paper between the tape and the Iron. Last bit of info won the hard way!

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Dont know if it helps, but you can get waterproof zips! They use them for scuba diving dry suits. Hope it helps.

Cheers Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE