gooducen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Im just watching Richard and Judy...
does anyone have a gooducen on christmas day.. iv never heard of on and it sounds like the most amazing food in the world..to me, forget turky its a Goose which has a Chicken inside it and inside the Chicken is a Duck! im in aww :shock:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
tomtom said:
Im just watching Richard and Judy...
does anyone have a gooducen on christmas day.. iv never heard of on and it sounds like the most amazing food in the world..to me, forget turky its a Goose which has a Chicken inside it and inside the Chicken is a Duck! im in aww :shock:

Sounds like Russian dolls made out of meat !! :rolmao:
dolls.jpg

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
yes indeed.. they said that there was one made once which was 18 birds and in the very middle was a single olive, the outer most bird must have been a flimmin Ostrich :smiley-fa

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
shinobi said:
Here's a brief description.
Gooducken

I find that article to be a reflection on the "more money than sense, always in a hurry" mentality that is gradually infecting more and more of our world. Linked to this, is the loss of traditional culinary skill and the breakup of traditional family structures.

The same thing is true of the increased sales of mince pies mentioned in the article. Christmas cakes are going the same way.

My grandmother, and after that my mother, would make sevebn or eight dozen mince pies about the first week of December, and make as many again on about the 22nd or 23rd of December, because we'd eaten them all :yum: But my family is in the same boat as the "more money that sense" brigade... this year my mom will be serving up supermarket mince pies and Christmas cake. I'll wait till I get back to Paris for proper home-made Christmas cake and mince pies.

But back to Gooducken!

Sounds like a great idea for a big family get together

A good butcher takes a whole 45 minutes to prepare this thing, and people are going to pay £80 (an more) for it, when they could no doubt get the three birds for around £25 to £40 and put in, let's say, an hour and a half.

I do much more meat preparation than any of my friends and relations, and even I couldn't do it in less than an hour, but I'm prepared to put in that amount of time, even though I'm off to work at 08h00 each morning, rarely get back home before 19h30 or 20h00, often more like 20h30.

I seem to remember somebody on here (maybe RovingArcher) mentioning a dove inside a hen inside peacock...

Keith.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I saw a reconstruction in Hampton Court kitchens where they started with a Swan and worked down to a Quail I think. It took about 8 different birds one inside the other.

Bill

jakunen

Native
I've had something similar at medievil banquets. Even once had a swan stuffed with a goose stuffed with a duck, all the way down to something small and crunchy.

Was a really good banquet!

Hmm, might have a bash at doing one myself this year...
Any uppers in the forum?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
tomtom said:
wooha that sounds great!! dont you have to be the queen to be allowed to eat a swan?

I always thought you could eat a swan but you can't kill it. :nono:
If you find a dead one that's OK to eat. :shock:

Some swans plague a friends farm where there are some power cables running through a particular field they like for some reason. In the spring/ early summer the occasional young swan gets killed by flying into the cables. These often get collected and eaten by the farm hands but none are deliberately killed for food.

It's abit like hedgehog, you can jump on one to kill it but you can't shoot it for the same result. :?: Not that you'd want to kill a hedgehog in the first place of course but...

Cheers

Mark

jakunen

Native
So long as a member of royalty is there (one of her 4th cousins or something was) or a member of the Swan Uppers is there, or you have been given royal permission (Leeds Castle, where I was, has a warrant to serve it twice a year or something), swan can be served.And ye lusty-busty-wench was very...:naughty:

gurthang

Nov 22, 2004
Devon/Hampshire
the arabs have a ceremonial dish wich goes something along the lines of fish inside quail, quail in duck, duck in chicken, chicken in..... all the way up to a camel abot 12 different animals I think. (no joke)

by the way you can shoot hedgehogs your just not allowed to trap them.

Swan tastes great, My uncle came across one wich had had an unfortionate (and short lived) relationship with a power cable (the autopsy revealed terminal structural damage to the neck :eek:): ) and it was just in time for Christmas dinner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE