Going to the Cotswolds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Well, I received a phone call from my father today saying that because of whatever I am going be taken on holiday to the Cotswolds by him with my 2 little brothers (11 & 13 years old). Apparently we have a cottage for a week and we'll be taking my little brothers 2 dogs.

I figure this is the perfect time to get them into bushcraft and the outdoors.. and away from their PlayStation.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can make it really exciting and interesting for them and get them intrigued and wanting to do it rather than me basically dragging them around telling them what not to do..?

I've never really been excellent at communicating my point across and making someone engage with something, even when I have a passion for it.. especially with kids. And I really want to try and make use of this time. So any tips on possible activities, even outings if you know the area (somewhere between Malvern and Cheltenham apparently) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Smith :)

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
take a hike over over the malvern hills,little or as much as you like.or if you get down as far as the lakes down by cotswold outdoor plenty of walks around there.theres an old dissused railway and canal there at a place called cerney wick.
ade

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just start doing stuff, and looking like you're having a good time, maybe mutter to yourself as you are doing it. It gets them intruiged enough to watch, and then ask questions. Get them to pass you something (even if you can reach by yourself) and then ask if they want a go.

Doesn't much matter if you are carving, firelighting, making something, or putting up a hammock, the technique is the same.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
My two boys are fascinated by dens...er, I mean shelters, but at 6 and 8 they're a lot younger than your brothers. They like fires too...

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE