Goat skins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Does anyone know were i can get a ready supply of good quality goat skins?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Can I ask what you want them for? cured or raw? Full skin or just some goat 'leather'?

Goat skins are sold in various qualities (and costs) depending on their use.... For example a quality goat skin used for book binding can go for £100+ ..... though start at around £50. Skins for drum making are a little cheaper..

Ed

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
You might find the choice is a bit limited, but most drum shops will be able to source goatskins for hand drums for you - probably between 15 and 30 pounds for a small skin, but it will be treated and probably shaved smooth.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Adi, it might help if you tell us what you need the skins for.
Bookbinding ones, or calligraphy ones are *very* carefully selected and will cost a fortune.
Split skins for gardening gloves can be bought very cheaply however (£5 or £8 each last time I bought some, but I got some kidskin ones with the hair still on for £3 from an East European Viking re-enactor). Drum skins are different again.
It's a horses for courses sort of thing, and they all come from different suppliers. They are all of good quality, for their intended *use*, but not so good for other purposes, and the different tanning processes alter the finished skins too.

Cheers,
Toddy

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Its not for me, its for a mate that builds traditional first nation drums. He uses traditional ways to build them so i believe he wants tanned dehaired goat hides.

He does not like the shop skins. He also uses large quantities of Sinew but has to pay through the nose for it at bow shops, he is trying to sauce both direct.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi Adi,
For the sinew, in quantity, tell your friend to find a game dealer that takes the stags. The *camelhair*, the heavy sinew along the upper spine of a grazing beast, is usually disposed of or sent to be used for dog chews, but it's excellent stuff.
Drum skins? Troy makes really good rawhide but I don't have any contacts for that stuff. Sorry.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE