Glue / tape for fixing baffles in an underquilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
My neighbour who is a seamstress has agreed to help me with my down UQ project, but she is rightly nervous about getting down in her machine, so I'll have to do the last bit myself. She's a bit leery of seeing the baffles in too. I'd suggested using masking tape to secure the baffles in and then sewing along the side of the tape but she doesn't want to risk gumming up her machine with the adhesive.

If I used the tape that folk use for fixing cuben fiber would they need sewing at all? I'm using pertex and insect mesh. I guess the risk comes at washing time.

I'll let you know how we get on. I'm planning a monster 2.2 metre long one with 500g of 700+ down. Just in time for the 3 weeks of summer.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
They are much better sewn IMO, and that cuben tape isn't cheap. Pertex fibres are Teflon coated and I really wouldn't risk spillage of expensive down to tape that may not stick to it permanently.

I use either tailors chalk or an air erasable pen to draw the lines on the shinier inside then sew the baffles down those. If you use midge netting, she will see the lines very easily. If she is a seamstress, it should be a very quick and efficient job-its all straight lines.

I agree 100% about not wanting to sew through adhesive tape but down won't hurt or get into the machine any more than sewing silk or wool-its all basically Keratin.

Also, Pertex can be pinned if needed (with very fine pins)-the weave will close right back up again. :)

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE