Glencoe Revisited

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jimcall

Oct 15, 2008
Falkirk
Just back from a few days up in Glencoe again. This time it rained - for 4 days solid! I try and get up to Glencoe at least once a month, its my favourite place, but this time the weather was really foul! Still - as they say, skin is waterproof!

DSCF1263.jpg

In the morning my campfire site looked more like an island in a lake than a campfire!

DSCF1323.jpg

DSCF1319.jpg

Some call the glen the weeping glen, in this weather its easy to see why - it looks brooding and foreboding!

DSCF1304.jpg

DSCF1303-1.jpg

DSCF1285.jpg

There were a few breaks in the weather however and this is The Lochan, near Glencoe Village. The woodland was planted by Lord Strathcona in the nineteenth century in an attempt to recreate the Pacific NorthWest for his homesick native-American wife. I think she still left him to go back home, maybe the rain was too much for her!

DSCF1293.jpg

Not sure which type of tree this is(beech or ash perhaps?) but it is an interesting fissure. I should have paid more attention to the leaves in order to identify it.

DSCF1296.jpg

Some wild life made an appearance, this mallard was a bit camera shy.

DSCF1332.jpg

The swans were a bit more curious but there was a dog bounding about so they kept their distance.

DSCF1334b.jpg

This wind surfer was struggling to catch any wind. I spied him out of the corner of my eye but I had to use full zoom on my fuji hs10 to pick him out.

The swans and the surfer were shot (on camera, not by gun!) on the way home at Loch Lubnaig which is just north of the village of Callander.

Thanks for looking.

Jim

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lovely :D You got a good range of photos there Jim :approve:

It's been a bit like that weather wise here too; just the time of year. Kind of makes the hammocking more appealling :)

Thanks for sharing :D

cheers,
Toddy

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Lovely area. Funny it was raining when I was last there.....didn't drown the midges mind.
The red squirrel campsite?
D

jimcall

Oct 15, 2008
Falkirk
Its one of the few campsites around which allows campfires, albeit in pre-determined spots, usually in little gulley's or spots where a tent cant be pitched. It is fairly basic but because of its locale and lots of trees around (they allow tarps & hammocks) its an ideal alternative if I don't want to go wild camping. The big plus is the fact that it is only a 15min walk to the Clachaig Inn!!

DSCF1179.jpg

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Great pics Jim, it's one of my favorite places aswell mate , it is an awsome area ,
yeh the clachaig is the best boozer in scotland , great music and great banter, then crawl doon ti the squiirrel ti yer bed , brilliant mate , cheers

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Nice pictures, good memories.

We holiday up there most years in a little holiday cottage just over the bridge down the Kinlochleven road.

Fantastic area, already booked for next year. It seriously threw it down for a few days so we put our waterproofs on and went down to look at the waterfalls.
The one on the main Glencoe road was amazing, it looked like Niagra, the waterfall was coming over ALL the rocks there instead of it's normal little bit.

The bridge over the path to signal rock was impressive.

Roll on next year!

Sanji

Forager
Oct 20, 2006
Oban, Scotland
Awesome pics, love the pic with the water around the campfire lol Should do a mini meet in glencoe or somewhere around argyll.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
It's funny, I only really know Glen Coe in the winter when I'm up there for the winter climbing. Never been there at any other time of year and - by the looks of it - I've been missing out!

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
Nice photo's. slept in the car one night at the start of Glen Coe, on the way to the Isle of Skye. i wanted my friend to see the beauty of the Glen. It was so misty in the morning we could only just see the road!!

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
One of my favourite places in the whole wide world. Done all the peaks round that neck of the woods and have many happy campfire memories.
Even met Muriel Grey on the peak of Bidean nam Bian while she was filming the Munro Show (maybe jthat's ust a Scottish thang!) while I was out of my face on acid at the time. Crazy memories!
Thanks for the pics and reminders

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
great pic's i especially like pic' 5, very well composed. brings back memories of a feb' trip a few years ago, i think i tried every whisky at the clachaig over 5 days :) thanks for sharing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE