Glen Strathfarrar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Just thought I'd throw this into the mix. I was up in Glen Strathfarrar over the weekend one word for you ........ STUNNING.

It is soooo beautiful up there. It's one of the larger remnants of Caledonian Pine Forest (north of the larger Glen Affric). Fantastic mature old forest along the banks of the Farra River with a great diversity of tree species dominated by the majestic pines and silver birch.

One thing I would say is that the road through the Glen is private (hydro electric I think but maybe SNH). If you are planning a day trip and driving you can phone up the gate house in advance and get them to open it for you but there are timings (from their website):-

Easter till end of October

Mon - Sat (except Tuesday): 0900 - 1800
Sun: 1330 - 1800

Note there is no access on Tuesdays & please do not call at the cottage between 1300 and 1330.

There glen is obviously open to cyclists and walkers at any time :D and I would have thought it would make for an excellent long weekend expedition. I think I recall a bus stop at Struy (if not then there will be one near by) and the forest literally starts a few minutes walk from the road (on the south bank of the river Farrar).

The benefit of having the closed gate is that most people can't be bothered to make the effort to phone up and get it open so the whole place is empty at this time of year (a part from a few lucky keepers who live in the Glen) so IMHO is a lot quieter than Glen Affric. I’ve never seen so many (surprisingly big) red deer in my life and the place has a very good “vibe” to it!

I’m sure it must be an SSSI or have some form of protection so I’m not sure on the rules for fires.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Just thought I'd throw this into the mix. I was up in Glen Strathfarrar over the weekend one word for you ........ STUNNING.

It is soooo beautiful up there. It's one of the larger remnants of Caledonian Pine Forest (north of the larger Glen Affric). Fantastic mature old forest along the banks of the Farra River with a great diversity of tree species dominated by the majestic pines and silver birch.

One thing I would say is that the road through the Glen is private (hydro electric I think but maybe SNH). If you are planning a day trip and driving you can phone up the gate house in advance and get them to open it for you but there are timings (from their website):-

Easter till end of October

Mon - Sat (except Tuesday): 0900 - 1800
Sun: 1330 - 1800

Note there is no access on Tuesdays & please do not call at the cottage between 1300 and 1330.

There glen is obviously open to cyclists and walkers at any time :D and I would have thought it would make for an excellent long weekend expedition. I think I recall a bus stop at Struy (if not then there will be one near by) and the forest literally starts a few minutes walk from the road (on the south bank of the river Farrar).

The benefit of having the closed gate is that most people can't be bothered to make the effort to phone up and get it open so the whole place is empty at this time of year (a part from a few lucky keepers who live in the Glen) so IMHO is a lot quieter than Glen Affric. I’ve never seen so many (surprisingly big) red deer in my life and the place has a very good “vibe” to it!

I’m sure it must be an SSSI or have some form of protection so I’m not sure on the rules for fires.

Are there lots of keepers up there? You don't know where they live do you? Thanks

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Are there lots of keepers up there? You don't know where they live do you? Thanks

It is certainly one of the better 'unspoilt' parts of Scotland with some exceptional Native Pinewoods. I would rate it as one of the places in the UK to see before you die!
Yes, there are game keepers in the area and the lady at the Glen Strathfarrar cottage might have the info you need. Also large areas in the vacinity are owned by the Forestry Commission (Scotland), Glen Affric for example is very nearby, so an e-mail to them might be worth a try.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE