Glen Affric

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
knoydart016.jpg
I've always wanted to visit the boreal forests of Canada - part of the great northern tree belt around latitude 50-60 or so, that stretches across North America, Scandinavia and Russia.

But Scotland still has boreal forest too - remnants of the once great Caledonian forest, of mainly Scots pine. I've seen it at the Black wood of Rannoch, but that is a wood. In Glen Affrice, it is a forest:

knoydart002.jpg

It was very quiet, apart from the waves against the canoe, and some distant woodpeckers.

I had been planning to bivouac without a fire, as this is a special, rare place and no risks should be taken with it. However, the water levels were low, and I found a large gravel beach where there were no trees within 20m or so, and judged it safe. There was also plenty of driftwood.

knoydart020.jpg

For once there were no midgies, and I slept under the canoe with an improvised tarp and paddle awning:

knoydart019.jpg

Certainly it is one of my favourite places, and well worth a visit. However, I would strongly advise against any fire in this environment unless you can find a large gravel beach.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Looks great :D

I was in Glen Affric last year with Twoflower but we decided to leave the area when we couldn't find suitable places for hammocks. I wish we'd persevered now, that view across the loch in the second picture looks ideal. :(

I get the feeling I'll be going back later this year.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Beautiful spot, has reminded me that is way too long since I've been to the Highlands, a wee trip may be called for. BTW re. midges, has anyone else noticed them (and horseflies for that matter) increasing in numbers down south (Wales anyway) the last few years. Not up to Scottish standards yet, (worked in the Flow Country a few years ago, I still wake up itching) but getting closer.

Steve

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
...BTW re. midges, has anyone else noticed them (and horseflies for that matter) increasing in numbers down south (Wales anyway) the last few years. Not up to Scottish standards yet, (worked in the Flow Country a few years ago, I still wake up itching) but getting closer.

Steve

Yes.

It's something to do with the dimishing spider population a year or two ago. Less spiders means more flies survive to breed and the populations keep getting bigger. The spider populations are back to normal now and will actually increase as there is now more food available to them because of the increase in flies.
Apparantly it will all even-out eventually.

I can't remember where I read this or the reason for the diminished spider population - something to do with cold weather I think, or heavy rain last year? Of course, heavy rain provided more moist humid conditions which, as I understand it, are perfect for increased breeding among midges. That's why Scotland has so many of them.

I'll see if I still have the info about the spiders lying about.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Glen Affric - I think they filmed "Dog Soldiers" there.

We regularly go up to Dog Falls and do the forest walk, It it lovely up there. I am planing a wild camp up there soon.
And at some point we will be rewiring the SYHA hut up there, so will have a few day on my own.....:cool:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Very jealous- planning to take the gf up there sometime this year hopefully. Looked like an excellent spot for a bivi!

Thanks for the post

Stuart

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Lovely pictures Doc.

We've been putting together a wish list of places to visit to collect some tree seeds. That's made the list:).

Years since I've been up that way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE