Gerber Bear Grylls sliding saw.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have an opinel (bought from a member of BB). Smaller than laplander or silky but still very capable. I think most of these should be considered as 'pull' cutters unless you are very careful not to let the blade bind or to apply too much pressure on the push stroke.

Even lent my saw to a bunch of schoolkids who were on a green woodworking course.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Silky saws are lovely but you are paying a lot for them. I was given a Silky with a broken blade and and when I realised how much a replacement blade was I ended up giving it away. My Laplander will suffice for now.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Silky saws are lovely but you are paying a lot for them. I was given a Silky with a broken blade and and when I realised how much a replacement blade was I ended up giving it away. My Laplander will suffice for now.

Silky F-180 can be had for around £18.00, replacement blades are around £12.00 to £14.00 :), the one thing i do like about the F180, is the blade opens in two fixed positions, makes life a lot easier sometimes, i dont like the fact that it doesn't lock shut, but saying that, ive also not had one open accidentally in a bag or pack.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

My mate snapped the blade on my Silky BigBoy and looking at the prices for replacement I just left it in the cupboard. Recently I found a Japanese company on eBay and paid about £20 a new blade. All the saws and blades cost way less than buying here. Shipped in record time too.

It's late now, but I'll post a link if anyone's interested.

greensurfingbear

My mate snapped the blade on my Silky BigBoy and looking at the prices for replacement I just left it in the cupboard. Recently I found a Japanese company on eBay and paid about £20 a new blade. All the saws and blades cost way less than buying here. Shipped in record time too.

It's late now, but I'll post a link if anyone's interested.

Always worth giving a shout out to good service/products :)

Orric

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have found the bacho blades cheaper from the states even with postage than they are here, if you look on ebay.

ade02uk

Mar 1, 2014
Bellshill, Scotland
Just a quick update. I received my replacement saw from Silva this morning. Brand new and packaged. It's taken them a little while but overall I would say the customer service has been good so I reckon they know there are issues with this saw.

Ade

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
+1 for silky's; proven at work all the time. I'd go as far to say that they can literally save the day!!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been meaning to replace my Laplander with a Silky - but the darn thing refuses to break or get blunt enough to warrant replacing!
Only had it for 8 years....

One of my clients bent the blade of my Laplander so I bought a new blade - £11 from RM ... should be good for another 8 years now....
Strangely the old blade still feels about 98% as sharp as the new one - so I have kept it as a spare (after a bit of straightening with a pair of pliers)....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE