Gerber Bear Grylls sliding saw.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ade02uk

Mar 1, 2014
Bellshill, Scotland
Hi guys,
I baught one on Thursday and paid £20.99 for it. I used it today to cut a couple of small dead branches while harvesting fatwood. I went for a slightly larger sawn off branch that had a ton of pitch coming out. After a few mins of cutting the blade became very flexible, I let it cool for a minute or so then continued to cut, after 3 or 4 strokes the blade caught and snapped.
I think an email to Gerber is due to see what they'll do.

Ade:confused:

Repperz

Feb 3, 2014
Tonbridge area..
Hi

I think gerber run decent warranties on most of their products and I hear they're generally a pretty nice company to deal with (though let us know how you get on) and I reckon they'll sort you out.

For what it's worth though, if they simply refund you I'd recommend the classic bacho Laplander saw, I just bought one and while I havn't put it under anything particularly stressful yet it's done well (having said that, you might want to not listen to me as I'm pretty biased against bear grylls equipment, I mean I think it's decent but better stuff can be found for cheaper I reckon, my two cents).

Good luck
Reppefz

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Buy a Silky F180, comparable in price to the Laplander and knocks the Bahco into a cocked hat.

ade02uk

Mar 1, 2014
Bellshill, Scotland
I have a bahco folfing saw, model down from the laplander but cant remember the name. I have used that loads of times and still perform s great. I noticed when I compared the two that the bahco has a much thicker blade. I'm going to email gerber tonight with a few pics. They give a lifetime warranty so should be all good.
Thamks for the advice.

Ade

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Let us know how you get on.

It is reassuring that the saw is of comparable quality to the parang.

ade02uk

Mar 1, 2014
Bellshill, Scotland
After contacting Gerber directly they gave me a contact number for Silva UK( Gerber distributers in my area), gave Silva a call, told the girl the problem and she told me to send the saw to them and they would replace it no problem because of the lifetime warranty. She even asked me if the blade had broken so something tells me that Gerber are aware of this problem and are just replacing the faulty items rather than solving the issue with the blade.
I bought another Bahco last week and have used it several times with no problems so I think I'll keep the Gerber in the shed for pruning the bushes in the garden.

Cheers

Ade

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been meaning to replace my Laplander with a Silky - but the darn thing refuses to break or get blunt enough to warrant replacing!
Only had it for 8 years....

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
There is a reason why gerber have good warrenty and customer service. It's because they have so much experience in having faulty goods returned.
Get a refund if you can.

Everyone talks about the Laplander and the silky, both of which I'm sure are very good. I've had a wilkinson sword folding saw which I got 2nd hand for 50p. It's great. Getting a bit blunt now but I've been keeping my mums hawthorns at bay for 10years with it.

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
There is a reason why gerber have good warrenty and customer service. It's because they have so much experience in having faulty goods returned.
Get a refund if you can.

Everyone talks about the Laplander and the silky, both of which I'm sure are very good. I've had a wilkinson sword folding saw which I got 2nd hand for 50p. It's great. Getting a bit blunt now but I've been keeping my mums hawthorns at bay for 10years with it.

Never understood the "american" penchant for warranties, I'd prefer not to have something break when you're relying on it the most.
Do Gerber deliver to the middle of the Amazon?
I got one of the Lidl folding saws about 3 years back, still going strong.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have been meaning to replace my Laplander with a Silky - but the darn thing refuses to break or get blunt enough to warrant replacing!
Only had it for 8 years....

Sometimes you need to have a go with a new saw to realise how worn out your existing one is. ;)

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Never understood the "american" penchant for warranties, I'd prefer not to have something break when you're relying on it the most.
Do Gerber deliver to the middle of the Amazon?
I got one of the Lidl folding saws about 3 years back, still going strong.

Exactly.
Are you the same parbajtor from BB forum?
The one I swapped the titanium for the rosewood with at Matt's workshop?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Good luck with the Gerber refund/replacement.

On the Silky/Laplander choice, the Silky cuts beautifully but only on the pull stroke and I have to admit I do like the fact that the Laplander locks shut. It makes it just that little bit safer when 'in the pack'. I enjoy using the Silky at home, pootling around, trimming stuff; when I go out and about, I always take the Laplander. Each to their own.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
did you have issues with the parang?

i got what turns out to be the same as the cheap lidls folding saw and tbh its been pretty good. when it dies ill get an f180 i think

The original parang had a recall - as it broke too often even for Gerber to just hand out replacements....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
really? was that the full size one? i have the half sized one and it feels ok but id like to know if its going to take my leg off one day :yikes:

I think it was the full size one - but I would not trust any of the BG kit ... the parang broke and was recalled, the saw snapsand the original knife fell apert and had to be redesigned ... what is next on the list to be found out as a dangerous failure?

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
ok, mine feels very strong tbh and ive given it some welly. the handle is a little on the thin side though so i may change that this summer, that would be my only gripe with it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE