Gear Mod question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phil P

Oct 8, 2014
West Lothian
I finally got around to ditching the tent and opting for the basha/bivvi bag combo.

After spending a few nights on Rannoch and Assynt feeding the occasional midgie:rolleyes: I thought it might be an idea to Velcro a Midgie net over the opening of my Bivvi bag.

Thoughts and ideas/advice would be appreciated.

Phil.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Phil P,

Are you side-kick or what?! I'm just in the process of drawing up something that may be of interest to you.
But first of all are you aware of the previously Dutch Army issue (Brit pattern DPM) single hooped bivvy bag? I picked one up for about 45 quid about 18 months ago and it was easy to sew a piece of mosi net in at the zip, held in place with velcro. Hoop keeps the net away from the face - important otherwise the swine will just bite you through the net (that's why the net should be permetrhine'd too) and why a mosi head net has limited function as a sleeping option.
Second - I mod'd an ex Brit Army GTX bivvy bag some time back with a diagonal access zip and I intend to make a self supporting mosi net to go over the upper part.
I've got some net left over from a Brit Army mosi cot that I've adapted for a Lavvu upgrade, I will use a chunk of it for the bivvy bag upgrade.
I'm thinking of using 4 x 7mm glass fibre shock corded poles to form two small hoops to go to each side of the bag with one/possibly 2 further as a bridge between the two hoops (but I may end having to source some pre-curved ally versions to keep the arch size appropriate). I'll sew a couple of sleeves along the edge of the mosi net sides for the pole hoops. These and the bridge pole will keep the net (and the biters) away from me beneath. I'm thinking of attaching the lower end of the net to the bag with a strip of hook and loop and folding the upper end under the bag. If you've ever seen one of those spring-lock muslin type nets that are made to protect open food on plates it may end up looking something like that - but bigger.
Hope this gives you food for thought. :)

Phil P

Oct 8, 2014
West Lothian
Had a similar sort of idea but using braided Alasticum or plastic coated gardening wire(which would probably rust after time). Tried using a head net and don't have areal problem getting bitten, just hate the little beasties crawling all over my face. I'm at a bit of a loss as to coming up with a way of fastening the Velcro shut from the inside without installing a zip,

I had toyed with the idea of just rigging a net under the Basha but then the little buggers would probably get inside the net anyway and drive me wild. Also the problem with using a full net is that I often take the dog along and as well as being a midgie magnet, I'm not too sure whether a full net would stand up to the rigours of a PBT clawing at it.

The ones like Snugpack might seem to have a problem with condensate as breath might gather on the inside.

Can I assume that from your posts on a similar subject that you use your system for CROPs work?

Phil.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Good idea on the Velcro. Perhaps a hoop or zip is an idea though. I have a piece of net sewn into a tube with elastic as a pull over net for my hammock

Phil P

Oct 8, 2014
West Lothian
Peas, Potato's, Cabbages; apart from that I know nothing about nothing.:lmao: Ignorance is bliss but Knowledge gives strength to the Arm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE