GB Hunter’s Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 29, 2006
Devon
Hi,
I am going on a trip to Lapland on Saturday and wanted to buy a Gransfors Bruks Small Forrest Axe, but they were not in stock. So I have ordered the Hunter’s Axe instead, after being told that they were exactly the same apart from the Poll, which is rounded.
Has anyone got any experience with the Hunter’s Axe, is it as useful as the SFA? Has it got any limitations? Any thoughts?
Thanks

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
254038-kellyfuzz.jpg

I do not have the forest ax but do have a Hunter's and a Scandinavian Forest Ax.

The only downside to the Hunter's ax is the polished and rounded poll. If you drive tent pegs you will miss the square poll, but everything else about the Hunter's ax is perfect in my view. I like the helve much better than any of my other GB axes. It has a slightly straighter helve with some roughness around the end that makes using this ax just a pleasure.

However, the square poll is a requirement for some, so do not compromise unless you will get another ax later. I would never trade my Hunter's Ax as it is my favorite of the lot.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Try these folks, I've dealt with them before with good results. Their prices are reasonable and they list 12 SFAs in stock :) .

leon-1

I am another that owns the hunters axe, my opinion of it echoes that of Schwert. It is my favourite axe of the ones that I own and use, I feel more comfortable with it is the only way to describe it.

I have used the SFA before and like it, I just prefer the hunters (as long as I am not trying to hammer in pegs). As Schwert has said the poll is rounded and polished for flaying, the bit has a slightly different shape to that of the SFA, however they do have the same length cutting area/edge. The helve has been lightly ribbed at the handlers end / butt of the helve and as Schwert mentioned is straighter than the SFA's.

The weight and length of both axes are the same, unless they have changed it I would say that the axe mask for the SFA is slightly better than that of the hunters axe.

The top axe is the hunters and the bottom the SFA

The same on this picture

axes2ev7.jpg

I hope this helps a little.

leon-1

FGYT said:
acording to the site the Hunter is 48cm and 0.9kg and the SFA is 50cm and 1kg
Gransfors website

Oh why did i look on that site :banghead: i want one of them anceint axes now :eek:

ATB

Duncan

To quote Gransfors Bruks themselves;
Gransfors Bruks said:
Small Forest Axe
Same size as the Hunter's Axe but a more traditional pattern and poll. The blade is thin. The handle is long enough to allow powerful chopping but not too long so it will fit into a rucksack, the back of a car or a boat. Practical for splitting small sticks for the fire or cutting small-diameter limbwood for starter fuel in a fireplace.

The axe has a 3 1/4" face and a 19" hickory handle and the head weighs 1 1/2 lb.
It comes with a grain-leather sheath.

Hunter's Axe
Specially made for hunter. The poll is forged thinner than normal and gently rounded and burnished to a Flay Poll to be used when skinning an animal. You pull the hide with one hand at the same time you hit with the Flay Poll of the axe between the hide and the flesh; and stroke by stroke the hide comes off. The axe is good for chopping, in wood as well as meat. The grip of the handle has circular grooves which gives a steady grip even if your hands are wet or sticky. This axe has received, as the first and only axe in Sweden, a design award from The Swedish Society of Crafts and Design.

The axe has a 3 1/4" face and a 19" hickory handle and the head weighs 1 1/2 lb.
It comes with a grain-leather sheath.

I should note that the Mask on my axe is one that I made and not the one that is provided by GB.

leon-1

Nope I haven't. I would like the chance if anyone out there is offering:D.

It is rare for me to use an axe as a hammer either, I normally use a baton, but I do have a number of axes to choose from, I just prefer the hunters axe.

That may change in the future as I have a few heads to rehandle (@ $23 for 4 heads I couldn't resist), so there will be a Norlund, a Warren "Old Faithfull" and a couple of others to do.

leon-1

Duncan, when the hunters originally came out the spec was exactly the same 0.9kg head and all the rest, the only thing I can think of is that they have changed the SFA since I bought mine seven or so years ago.

I know that my brothers SFA and my hunters are pretty much exactly the same size, the one shown in the picture is brand spanking, borrowed for the purpose of the picture and yes it is slightly larger.

The only thing that is a possibility is that they have updated thier main page, but not the detailed page for each individual axe as 19 inches for the handle is around the 48cm mark rather than the 50cm which they now say.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can collect from Weald and Downland :D

Didn't know they had updated their pages....feel a visit coming on

Ta Leon!

Red

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
British Red said:
Does anyone actually stock the ancient ones in the UK (or can give special order prices)?

Red
The link I posted show that they have one trade hawk in stock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE