Gasketless Fire Piston

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

riddleofsteel

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2005
above ground
I have one of your coco bolo models with a matching tinder safe. Lately I have been keeping Vasoline in the tinder safe and my tinder in an old metal film can. In my experience my gasket model will simply not work without the grease.
This new model would be a break through on an ancient technology.

What is it made of?

If frequent application of lube has become necessary, perhaps its time to rewind the gasket. With extended use of charcloth, tiny carbon particles work their way into the fibers and interfere with sealing. If you care to send it over for a check up I would be happy to give an overhaul.

Unfortunately, the gasketless design also needs lubrication.

If freedom from lubrication is desired, I suggest O ring seals are the way to go. While these are clearly not traditional, they do seem to perform very well and require far less attention and maintenance as compared to cotton string. We offer the TinderLite models with O rings and we can make the wooden models with them as well. The TinderLite pistons have screw-off piston caps and can be had with an optional fire steel inside the shaft. Sorry...end of commercial... :rolleyes:

Cnv0165.jpg

Cnv0079.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE