Gas Guzzlers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Mark
The latest taxis coming off the production line do actually meet current emissions and use the modern Ford diesel engine found in the transit. I think what you are referring to are the older models which date back 20 or even 30 years (the chassis is still based on the original design which was done in the 1960s). The problem is that they are built to last, taxi drivers wouldn't buy them if they didn't hence my previous comments about the alternatives.

As for the Modec vehicle, you should see some early next year (my guess). The engineering is currently heading for production and the factory is getting kitted out. Not sure I can tell you any more due to confidentiality I'm afraid :eek:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
bogflogger said:
Yes, it's all a Class War Mate. :cool:

Have you actually been to London since the Congestion Charge was introduced, and seen for yourself how much more plesant the City is?

Or does that interfere with your Daily Telegraph issue blinkers?

I do not seek to contest that there are too many damn vehicles in London, just that singling out 4x4 drivers is no more than tinkering whilst Rome burns and frankly takes peoples eye off the bigger picture. That the waters are, as you so clearly acknowledge, further muddied by a pre-occupation with class - born of, it is strongly suggested, either hate and/or jealously for the visible trappings of capitalist ‘success’ will ensure but one thing: Namely that meaningful debate, or perhaps the lack of it, will provide all the clarity and reason of a Highland river in full spate.

The Times in tabloid format actually. I guess that I should take comfort from being spared the suggestion I read the Daily Mail though!

Cheers

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Klenchblaize said:
[...]just that singling out 4x4 drivers is no more than tinkering whilst Rome burns and frankly takes peoples eye off the bigger picture. [...]

True. But if you're trying to hammer in a wedge, it helps to start with the thin end. ;) :)

I have had discussions with other greenies who want to go for much more severe actions (ban all cars, ban all air travel, etc) but the fact is that you'd get more political traction campaigning for compulsory euthanasia at the age of 30.

In green politics, the side arguing for all-out, hardcore positions is know as "fundie", while the faction looking for incremental gains via the established political process is called "realo". I've never been able to decide which camp I'm in. ;)

Reactions: Toddy

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Klenchblaise, I really do not understand where you are coming from here.

It was not me who started off by ranting about "Which car should a member of Ammnesty International drive" or mentioned "I've got my head so far up my Trotskyist **** Livingstone."

And as for the "Class War" can I suggest that it exists only in your own head.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
it may well be a class war.

In this country there is no respect for money. a lot of my famly are landlords (of the sort dependent on their rental income) and they get treated like ****.

Then you read online of someone bemoaning people being aloowed to own their own property...where are these folk going to live, pray? The government sure arent going to house them.

on the subject of big trucks, go see what your local council estate chavs own...

...as a sole vehicle.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Why on earth should there be any respect for money?

Having it gives you no extra moral right to pollute the Earth.

BTW. I Live on a Council Estate and there are NO 4 x 4's here.

Furthermore, I suggest that you think REALLY carefully before calling me a Chav, OK?

Simon R

Oct 29, 2004
Stafford
Just going to add my bit about 4x4's.

My Landrover 110 does 31mpg, just worked it out over the last 700 odd miles. Many smaller vehicles do worse than that; a friends motorbike does about the same, he just gets places a lot quicker!
The Landy is 10 years old and will still be going strong in another 10 years, not many cars will be. Why do people have to have the newest car? It is no longer or wider than than many estate cars or people carriers, it is just its height that makes it look big.
When the oil runs out and/or gets stupidly expensive, it'll still be on the road using biodiesel or veg oil.

Old Land Rovers are the best vehicles ever made!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Vigorous discussion is one thing but politics, personal insults and discourtesy are *not* conducive to a comfortable atmosphere for me (and many others) to sit and enjoy the coffee, gentlemen..... :rolleyes:

Please moderate your statements or I'll have to moderate the thread :(

Thanks,

Toddy

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Green Gunpowder Tea here actually. :p

Now if we can get back to Land Rover's, rather than Bigotry and Social Predujice, Land Rovers are Fine, for their Intended Use IE: Rural Workhorses.

Nobody with any sense has an issue with that, BUT far too many are used as a "Lifestyle Statement" :yuck: by the Semi-Urban HSF wannabees.

If the back of your Land Rover is not full of Sheep Poo, you do NOT need one! :D

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Fluxus said:
This thread got me googling and I found this link you might like / hate!
http://www.stopurban4x4s.org.uk/reasons.htm

Flux

Brilliant! Thanks Fluxus, acording to that site, Reason No.1: I am, as a tree surgeon, allowed to drive my 4x4 ;)

I can sleep better at night now :p

It does wind me up when I'm trying to get through a 4x4 laced school run to get home and I know they don't need them...they can cause chaos and now that they are public ememy number one I get hit with all the higher taxes that are used to stop others using 4x4s when I really need one (even the nice site above says I need one :) ).

On the other hand we live in a free country and everybody has choice, until they manage to make it illegal to own one if you are included in "Reason No.1", I don't feel much will change except taxation on them will increase and in direct relation the commercial running costs will go up.

Bam. :)

stone

Tenderfoot
It funny to watch in the wintertime...All the yuppy urban 4x4's here seem to take themselves out in crashes, since they don't know how to drive them properly! They get them for the "Bad" winters (which aren't that bad) and end up just driving further into the ditches, foot to the floor thinking they can just power through. Most of them don't make it far...<evil grin> :lmao:

~mike

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
What about Greenpeace using outboard powered RHIBs and assault rifles to stop diesel ships coming out of docks in some parts of the world and the fact that one plug in electric car in paris causes more pollution per mile than a 4.2 litre supercharged v8 Range Rover. They also don't seem to realise that this climate change is a kind of trend, after all Land Rovers and other 4x4s didn't end the last ice age

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
You know, I bet that the Devil drives an old Land Rover. Comes in handy for those odd days of the year when hell freezes over...
icon_twisted.gif

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Gibbsy said:
I have had my 4x4 for nearly two years now and i love it, I have never driven a car that i feel so safe in. I don't work out-side and i don't tow anything.

As is your legal right to do so..... I think the people on here are thinking more about the moral issues.

That said, it's a personal choice thing and who are we to tell anyone what they can or can't do within the letter of the law ;)

Bam. :)

marshall4771

Forager
Jan 5, 2004
Bingley,West Yorkshire
I have a s11 Landrover discovery, I enjoy driving it and will continue to do so for as long as I am able to do so.

My grandad fought people to give me that freedome of choice.

I regulary carry seven people, do you want me to take two saloon cars ?

Shaun

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE