Gap year Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Good Lord! I had no idea that people were charging so much to provide gap year placements abroad!

Have you tried any of the charities? (VSO, Red Cross, Oxfam, Save the Children) and offered your services as a field worker for board and lodging? The personal approach is always best - so don't rely on letter writing. Find out where the local offices are and get round there

Failing that (and this would depend on how much backup capital you have) - put on a rucksack and just go. The ports are a good start and I've heard many stories of young men and women working their passage to far flung places on merchant ships (you might be doing a lot of laundry or washing a lot of dishes - but needs must!).

Good luck and I really wish you well - any experiences you have will stand you in good stead in the RAF.

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
get a round the world ticket for under a grand from sta or flight centre, cheap rucksack and just go. you'll come back a different person
I have issues with a lot of these charity groups such as coralcay etc charging through the nose for volunteer work.
I'd recommend you check out http://www.wwoof.org/ the joining fee is around 25 bucks and well worth it.

P.S just noticed you're from peterheid, so you've probably seen enough strange sites already :)

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Yep, the others are right. That's extortion.
Pack a bag (smallish, 3 of everything:) ) and jump on a plane with either a round the world or just focus on one continent and get much cheaper flights.

If you spent the whole year in, say South America, you'd come back speaking Spanish, a changed man, and with stories to tell for ever. The only danger with backpacking is that you end up following the droves from one party to the next :240: and never actually soak up any culture/ do any outdoorsy stuff so make sure you have objectives when you set off.

For the work option, offer your services to any of the charities working in the area you're interested in and they might put you up for free labour. Often smaller is better as large charities have stricter employment criteria, lists would be available from the nations' government offices.

I've done both of the above with great success, although I never had the luxury of a whole year to play with.

Alternatively, don't let us nay-say you out of the paid-for trip if that ticks your boxes. Sometimes these organised trips are the best way to get involved with a culture at a 'deeper' level. Especially at your tender age when the red-tape around organising it for yourself can be daunting.

You'll have the time of your life whatever you choose and I am sorely jealous - maybe the boss would give me a sabbatical if I asked nicely...

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Sorry to sound dumb here could someone explain the whoe backpack thing to me, do you turn up to a dock look for a ship thats heading the place you fancy and speak to the captain, or are there actual companies or sites which give you the name of specific boats and or routes to follow, any advice welcome.

Lodian

Podcast Bob

Not sure if this will help you, but it may perhaps give you an idea about options you may not have considered.

I interviewed a range of people at the Gap Year Show, and 'gappers' who have since returned and put the podcasts for download at gapyearlight.co.uk.

It may give you an idea of what others did, and how it helped them build confidence to continue travelling independently afterwards. There's always the NGO route also.

Recently I met another young women who had done a range of courses, survival and bushcraft, around the world as part of her extended trips, but for the life of me I can't remember how she did it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Oz was good for me although a little messy at times, had a great 10 months over there.

Biosphere Expeditions look really good and are on my to do list for the not to distant future.

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
Hi Lodian,

It is still possible to book passage on container ships a friends brother recently spent 3 months returning form the far east on one, i think he helped out with chores to suplament his income, (he also described it as slowly going insane) (remember the scene in the great escape with steve macqueen bouncing a ball)

If you are a sailor, or even if you want to be i have met people who signed up to crew on yachts in the pacific. I believe there are wwoof type forums dealing with this online, i'll have a look for you.

My old flatmate also crewed on the tall ships many moons ago, best thing he ever did according to him.

It all boils down to choices and what you fancy doing, the best thing about traveling is the randomness however and you will quickly abandon even the best laid plans :)

edited to add, have a look at these guys for flights - you will also get a student discount - there are offices in dundee, edinburgh and probably Aberdeen as well if you want to chat about options.
Lonely planet also have a forum i've not used it but a number of travellers i've met said good things about it.

cheers

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE