G24 bushcraft zone recruitment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
I was approached last year (via Escouts) to see if I would be happy to help Bushcraft magazine's stand at Gilwell24, I did and it was very popular.

David Gillard (the G24 organiser) has approached me again for this years' G24 to be part of the Bushcraft zone. So far Jakunen and Simon M are signed up to help (the former used to be a bushcraft instructor) and we are currently banding ideas about. I think I can speak for the other two and say that there's a real buzz of anticipation (ie being given a blank bushcraft canvas).

I have got us an area outside of the smaller campfire circle and this will include free access to the circle itself (and hopefully the large pond to the side) with the plan being to do demos on different subjects at set times during the day with bushcraft chatter, talk of shiny things, getting a brew on (how many different ways could we find to do this on the day?!) and smaller projects during the rest of the time.

So I have been given the go ahead to recruit as many bushcrafting Scouters (or is it Scouting bushcrafters?) as I can and so I extend the invitation to any who qualify on here. The bushcraft skill level of most of the audience won't be high and so for instance, a firesteel practice area would be viable, but equally, if every attendee brought some charcloth as well as cotton balls it could move to another level. Equally, does anyone for example who could attend know a gamekeeper who could supply a couple of rabbits to put in a stone oven to open at the day? Plenty of scope...

I will hopefully be going up to Gilwell for a morning recce in about a week to take pics, ask some questions etc and will post the pics on this thread. If others who could show a skill or do a talk sign up there's no reason why talks couldn't run at the same time as we have the room to do so.

Having nearly bottled the invitation last year I was actually suprised how well I did last year. In the spirit of Gilwell 24 (9.00am Sat to 9.00am Sun straight through) David is looking for the base to go on as long as possible but I commented that a quality 9-5ish on Saturday 10th July in daylight would be safer than tired bushcrafters with sharps and such in the dark, however if you think you can fill your boots!

I would add anyone signing to a 'reply all' email so that we can discuss finer detail.
Here's the web link for more detail...
http://www.gilwell24.info/

Mang

Settler
If any Scouters are pondering coming...I've been to recce the site and this is the area we will have to play in (we can have all the fire we want and have permission to dig a pit for cooking if desired). This is one of the two log piles to go at. if you are coming get a shift on as registration closes soon.

g24_2.jpg

g24_3.jpg

g24_10.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE