FYI Ventile

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ventile is good - I've worn my old west winds smock for years and years. Wore it under my combat jacket when i was a soldier and now I wear it as my out layer all the time.

Its been dragged around the world with me and never let me down - but down believe all you hear about their waterproof properties. Single skins are shower proof and doubles more so but I have been soaked in mine and they are slow to dry.

Having said that I'd never choose anything else for my outer layer in any enviroment say the tropics (maybe)

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I wore a Snowsled Ventile smock in awful Scottish weather last year and was very surprised at the performance. The key, I think, is to wear the right stuff under it. With a Marmot DriClime top as my base layer I found that the tiny amount of water seeping through never seemed to reach my skin, and I was always warm and comfy. I habitually wear the smock when hiking, but also every day for the journey to work. Well, it wasn't cheap and I like to get a return on my investment...

The relatively slow drying times of Ventile have been improved by new proofing treatments like Grangers and Nikwax, and I think I'd only worry about that for very cold and wet conditions. Since it's so versatile and comfortable I also found that I carried less clothes, offsetting the slightly higher weight of the cotton when compared to synthetics. I do own other waterproofs, including a very experienced Paramo jacket and a Buffalo Mountain Shirt, but the Ventile smock is the one I reach for most of the time these days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE