Fun With Leather Off-Cuts - Salt Anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I made a salt and pepper pinch-pot with some small scraps of leather. It came out rather nicely and will take pride of place in my cookset! Salt one side, pepper the other.

1256346800_aca8695ac2.jpg

1255487189_22ee8aaf44.jpg

This sort of pot works really well for balms, maybe an insect repellant one on one side and a lip balm on the other, or a splodge of potion for finishing woodwork made out in the wilds or proofing leather. Make sure the 'flavours' are ok together though as in leather they do cross contaminate a bit and you want to clean out and replenish periodically, but very handy for carrying a dab of something useful around and the leather goes lovely after a year or so with an oil/beeswax based balm in it :)

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I really like those looks like you have done a great job there fella, would you be up for making some for sale? I would be interested

Simon.

Pitkin

Life Member
Jul 26, 2007
Buckinghamshire
They are really cool Shep. Would like to have a go at making some this week. I'm guessing that the salt/pepper holder is about 3/4 inch in diametre and maybe 1 1/2 inches high? Great idea from Sallyinwales too for lip balm 'n' stuff.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
They are really cool Shep. Would like to have a go at making some this week. I'm guessing that the salt/pepper holder is about 3/4 inch in diametre and maybe 1 1/2 inches high? Great idea from Sallyinwales too for lip balm 'n' stuff.

Something like that. I rummaged around for various containers until I found the smallest one that I could pinch into and drew round it!

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
This sort of pot works really well for balms, maybe an insect repellant one on one side and a lip balm on the other, or a splodge of potion for finishing woodwork made out in the wilds or proofing leather. Make sure the 'flavours' are ok together though as in leather they do cross contaminate a bit and you want to clean out and replenish periodically, but very handy for carrying a dab of something useful around and the leather goes lovely after a year or so with an oil/beeswax based balm in it :)

That is a great idea. I use an olive oil/beeswax mix on my leather which I could keep in one of these - don't know why I never thought of it myself!

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I really like those looks like you have done a great job there fella, would you be up for making some for sale? I would be interested

Simon.

I think I will. I've got a few leather items and a knife I've made so I've paid for a maker membership. I will make a few more of these too for anyone else that's interested.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I think I will. I've got a few leather items and a knife I've made so I've paid for a maker membership. I will make a few more of these too for anyone else that's interested.

I would be interested just let me know of a price. I think they are a really good idea, and the different ideas as for what they could be used for would make them usefull.

Simon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE