Fuel protests heads up!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
stotRE said:
Carrying a chopsaw,nail gun and a couple of bags of tools on a bicycle would make for quite a sight :)
Unfortunatly at the minute i live in a world of deadlines and competition and my van is an integral part of my business.

But having said that i have the tools and the knowledge to build a timber frame house from hewing the tree to driving the trunnels. :D

My clients just wouldn't have the patience :(

I have to agree there Stu, I'm a Stump Grinder and Tree worker and although I'm a fairly stocky sort of chap I'd be hard pressed to put a harness on and pull my 1.5 Tonne grinder behind me :eek: :D . While I agree whole heartedly with Mr Bowskill's sentiment, unfortunately it simply isn't practicle or even relevant in the modern United Kingdom :rolleyes: . How many of you in the UK are true hunter/gatherers? Not many if any I'd say so we're all having to use food that's moved about in big lorries by diesel fuel and many of us need our trucks, cars etc to be able to do our jobs, so an arguement for human power alone (even if meant in semi-jest ;) ) really helps nobody.

I am a lot more interested in this bio-diesel though....you see if it's something I can do to help without going to major extreams and inconvienience then I'd feel bad not doing it :)

On the other hand Stu, if you can make the house from the hewing point onwards we could double up and I'll fell and supply the timber......might be a while getting it to you though as I'd have to walk each piece up to you strapped to my back! lol :D

Bam. :)

bambodoggy said:
I have to agree there Stu, I'm a Stump Grinder and Tree worker and although I'm a fairly stocky sort of chap I'd be hard pressed to put a harness on and pull my 1.5 Tonne grinder behind me :eek: :D . While I agree whole heartedly with Mr Bowskill's sentiment, unfortunately it simply isn't practicle or even relevant in the modern United Kingdom :rolleyes: . How many of you in the UK are true hunter/gatherers? Not many if any I'd say so we're all having to use food that's moved about in big lorries by diesel fuel and many of us need our trucks, cars etc to be able to do our jobs, so an arguement for human power alone (even if meant in semi-jest ;) ) really helps nobody.

I am a lot more interested in this bio-diesel though....you see if it's something I can do to help without going to major extreams and inconvienience then I'd feel bad not doing it :)

On the other hand Stu, if you can make the house from the hewing point onwards we could double up and I'll fell and supply the timber......might be a while getting it to you though as I'd have to walk each piece up to you strapped to my back! lol :D

Bam. :)

We could float it around the coast like the big log drives that they use to do in the US :D :D

P

PeterC

Just a hypothetical question, but if you paid the duty on say 5 gallons of chip shop fuel and were stopped by the police for using the chip shop fuel, how would they know you were'nt using the 5 gallons that you've paid duty on?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Not sure they could,BUT, I believe if you are caught using cherry diesel(untaxed fuel) the taxman can work out the mileage you have done since purchasing the vehicle and charge you tax worked out by mileage,for the whole of your mileage!
I remember a TV programme about it and it seemed to be popular in S Wales so the Swales police were on to it, if they smelt a mobile chippy!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Likewise Stu, if I could get away with it I'd have a horse and cart. I'd use the horse for log extraction then cart the stuff of to wherever, but I have deadlines and competition to contend with. I couldn't compete without my van.

Eric

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have been told that the only problem that is likel to occur is panic buying ! The army are likely to be called in to help and the police are authorised to confiscate any vehicle used for blokade purposes (by force if necessary )

Pumbaa

Ooch!.... .. :eek:

[QUOTE=Eric_Methven] We all know that the internal combustion engine is as old as the hills and needs to be replaced with one of the many alternative energy sources, but I doub't that'll happen before some country declares war on another to get their oil and kicks off WW3. Then we'll need our bushcraft skills!!!Eric[/QUOTE]

"And then there will be no black stuff for pharmacognosy"!.
I really do think there must be a way to charge a milk float/electric vehiculum with a dynamo/solar panel :confused: So that the companies can save oil for more important things! .

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
A quick question.

Once all the panic has died down, which it will, I was thinking about purchasing a couple of 25 ltr jerry cans (one for diesel the other for petrol) so I have a small emergency stock.

What is the shelf life of modern fuels?

rgds

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
moduser said:
What is the shelf life of modern fuels?
In a sealed full jerry can, I've had unleaded still usable with no issues after six months, though some sources claim as little as three. Diesel I haven't tried yet, but since all my vehicles are now diesel engined, that's next. I've read that it keeps better than petrol. There's also something called "stabil" which prolongs shelf life, although I've not sourced it or tried it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Moduser,
I would have though that any tiny amount of water in the fuel that you buy would cause rusting of any steel container used for long term storage - though your idea is basically sound. Petrol over the course of years tends to become a sticky "vaseline", (ask any motorcycle restorer), so diesel might be a better way to go.
Though for diesel powered vehicles, there are many other alternative fuels that can be used in an emergency! ;)

PeterC,
If you can demonstrate, by showing thorough records of, mileage covered, fuels bought - both forecourt and other, and you have reciepts from HMC&E, you "should" be alright.

ATB

Ogri the trog

leon-1

It is a sad fact of life that most people only think of vehicles when the plight of oil and fossil fuels are spoken about. People don't think that the cost of food in our supermarkets will go up, people will not think about how our electrical bills will also increase (most of the power stations in th UK run on fossil fuels).

The social impact in the UK is not just about vehicles moving, it involves power, skills gaps, lines of communication and shortages of many items that are taken for granted in todays society. It will also include an increase in taxes to just about everyone.

Remember also that a lot of the food consumed within the UK is not grown or farmed here, along with the fact that our manufacturing facilities and the neccesary skills to run them have been depleted as industry has moved abroad to areas which are cheaper.

This paints a very grim picture for the future, but other countries have survived with trade and fuel embargo'sin place. It maybe time that we looked into how those countries faired without those things that we take for granted.

I don't drive, but I can see a bigger picture than the effect that it has on the individual or just business and I would like to think otherwise, but I cannot honestly see overall prices of fuel reducing in short term, probably not even in the long term. In the end it is how we handle it that matters.

There is a lot more that could be said, but that would be going into politics and this is not the place for that.:)

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
You can't go to any petrol station here without having to wait atleast half an hour it's ridiculous people are panicing over a fuel shortage that doesn't exist

Brasil now have aircraft that run 100% on ethanol.

The Embraer EMB202 inpanema is a single engined turboproped cropduster that runs on a fuel that is made from suger cane,5 times cleaner than jet A1 fuel and is completely sustainable(as long as you plant more suger cane).

One of the most poorest countries in the world is leading the way.

Why is it that we are not following? :(

Why is it that waste chipshop oil is dumped into landfill sites when it could be recycled?

Why is it that we attack Iraq to steal their oil when we could be brewing our own?

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
I was musing today that all the fuel protesters have to do is threaten action and the flap amongst the public does all their work for them. So far I've seen nothing on the news about protesters, only panic queues.

All the stations here have cones across the forecourts or pumps locked off. I pass four on the way to work, and it's the same story at each.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Originally Posted by Ogri the trog
Petrol over the course of years tends to become a sticky "vaseline", (ask any motorcycle restorer), so diesel might be a better way to go.
Argh, forgot to drain the carb on the old dirt bike. :eek:
...again :rolleyes:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
What I can't understand about these panic buyers is just why they think it'll help. As people have mentioned, the fuel will not last long in barrels. If supply stops, they will have an extremely brief advantage. If it continues, they will just look silly :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE