Frozen River Clyde

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT went for a wander this morning (me, I was cosied up in a quilt with a cuppa, it's -8 oC out there )
He came home saying the Clyde had frozen over in places.
He took these photos.
I went for the messages later on and it was still bitter, I used a rucksac to bring stuff home :rolleyes:

IMG_1154.JPG

River Clyde at Bothwell Castle.

IMG_1155.JPG

Normally the river is full of birds, and it's silent.

IMG_1157.JPG

Snowballs just splatter on the ice sheet in the middle.

IMG_1158.JPG

Riverside looking across to Blantyre.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wow, you guys must be getting it real cold up there.

We've got snow which is sticking around in parts and some of the roads are just pure ice, but the majority comes and goes from day to day.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's pretty baltic over here in Edinburgh, but I don't think it's quite cold enough to freeze the Water o' Leith. Mind you, I haven't been out yet today... The canal was frozen the last time I was up that way though.

I'm almost looking forward to going back to work - at least I won't have to pay for heating during the day!

It hasn't really been above freezing here for over 2 weeks, with lots of snow and Ice. We haven't been able to get our cars down our lane for the whole time (it's really steep)
I'm at the stage now where I can't wait for it to melt and we can get back to normal again. It was fun for a while, but the gritters are ignoring the rural roads and only about 25% of the Northern Ireland road network has been gritted. It's no fun trying to get out and about and the freeze is supposed to continue for a long time yet.
(If anyone from the NI roads authority is reading this.......Get off your backsides and grit the rural roads!!!)

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Wow, chillie stuff indeed. The Kilmarnock Water has frozen over in bits and there are some brave foot prints out on it too.. In Dunoon, the Lochan has completely frozen over, while I tend not to be there every winter I don't think it's been frozen like that for some years. I remember being taken there by my mum when I was around 8 or 9 maybe, and there were people ice skating, curling and all sorts, who knows maybe if this cold weather keeps up people will do the same this year.. :D

Cheers,

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It hasn't really been above freezing here for over 2 weeks, with lots of snow and Ice. We haven't been able to get our cars down our lane for the whole time (it's really steep)
I'm at the stage now where I can't wait for it to melt and we can get back to normal again. It was fun for a while, but the gritters are ignoring the rural roads and only about 25% of the Northern Ireland road network has been gritted. It's no fun trying to get out and about and the freeze is supposed to continue for a long time yet.
(If anyone from the NI roads authority is reading this.......Get off your backsides and grit the rural roads!!!)

Sounds like here too. Only the main road network is getting salted or ploughed. None of the back streets are done at all. The yellow salt bins are empty and not being refilled. Much of Lanarkshire is actually rural, but only if there's a bus route along a road is it getting gritted.
It's been fun for a bit but it's lost it's appeal. HWMBLT says it's supposed to get colder and last for at least another ten days too.

I do remember spells like this before. Where that river runs at Blantyre weir, seven boys went through the ice on the Mill Lade. They didn't all come out alive. I learned early that ice can be treacherously deceptive.
My Uncle said this morning that he minded when the Clyde froze across at Glasgow Green and folks walked from one side to the other.

Who knows how long it'll last :dunno: These islands have the most unpredicatable weather systems.

cheers,
Toddy

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
That looks beautiful Mary, here in Wiltshire it was -9 on my way to work, then at lunch when the sun popped through it looked as though it was snowing with the thick frost falling from the trees.

It may be an inconvenience to some but I am in awe of this weather. However my good friend Oakleaf up on the Moray/Cairngorm border is a little sick of the 3ft and snow and -18.

Wish I could join him for a brew.

All the best to all of you struggling in this weather.

Richard

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I took my puppy to Drumpellier Loch today for a run and the whole place is almost frozen over. There's a small unfrozen circle in the middle all the birds are huddled into. Never seen it so bad before.

P1010076.jpg

P1010066.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE