Frost River Nessmuk pack versus Bison Bushcraft pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hello,

I’ve been thinking a long time about buying a Frost River Nessmuk pack, but the Frost River site doesn’t have any photo’s off the pack, especially to show how it looks on someone’s back, how it looks at the “backside” and inside.

Is there someone on this Forum who has this Nessmuk pack and can post some photo's of it?

If someone has the larger specially made for Bisonbushcraft “Bison Bushcraft Pack” which to me looks like a larger Nessmuk pack with some additional extra’s I would love to hear about it. This pack to me looks a little to big as a “daypack” or daily commuting backpack.

I carry daily a 15” laptop + bunch of papers/manuals (A4 sized ) + power supply, cables, PDA, a few knives ;) and other stuff and I’m not sure the Nessmuk pack would be able to hold this + rain jacket etc.

I send an polite email to Bisonbushcraft asking them for some sizes on their Bison Bushcraft Pack asking if they perhaps also have some photo’s showing it along the Nessmuk pack they sell but my email was never answered.

Hopefully I’ll have more luck asking here,

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi Bagheera,

I purchased a Bison Bushcraft Pack for my girlfriend... well, I purchased it because I couldn't help myself and it then found a good home with my girlfriend.

I can measure it up tonight if you like but I have used it a few times to carry my laptop and some over night bits and it's been great. Obviously, it's not going to protect your laptop like a dedicated bag will.

The bottom line is that I love it, really well put together by the folk at frost river.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Squidders,

Thanks, protection won't be an issue as I have a dedicated neoprene laptop protection sleeve for my laptop and the laptop will ride in the backpack inside the protective sleeve.

As they advertise the backpack as being 43 litres “big” my main hesitation is that it will be to big as a day pack / commuting daypack.

Duluth Pack sells the Rambler in waxed Canvas which also has a 43 litre size, but I think the padded shoulder straps of the Bison Bushcraft Pack and the long pocket with “behind” gear sleeve make it a better choice.

I look forward to some photo’s/sizes if possible, with or without your girlfriend on it ;)

Cheers,

Bagheera

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Funny... I have the rambler and I would have said it's bigger... a fair bit bigger actually.

It's not a tiny little hydration pack size but it's not massive and I would say as a day pack it's ideal, mostly because a day in the british summer means carrying a waterproof and a jumper. :lmao:

I'll check the dimensions tonight anyway and let you know the L x W x D of it.

Joe

Leakydiff

Dec 19, 2005
Oxford
I have had my Bison pack now for a few months. I use it for day hikes,stalking and now SHMBO is using it for picnics !!! Even thinking of getting a corresponding canvas picknic set ! And this after long silences re "money wasted as has perfectly good other packs".
Being canvas it functions well with very little it it as it just scrunches up. Full it functions just as well. Very comfortable and easy to wear.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Leakydiff,

Thanks for the info, I'm correct in that you have the Bison Bushcraft Pack and not the smaller Nessmuk pack ?

I would appreciate it if you would have some photo's of it especially when carried, I'm 5' 11" and a good 230 lbs :( but I still would love to see some photo's to form a picture on its size.

Cheers,

Bagheera

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Bagheera,
I don't remember seeing your email (probably lost in cyberspace :rolleyes: ), but anyway, the dimensions are as follows:
Nessmuk
Height 40cm
Width 34cm
Depth 13cm

Bison Pack
Height 40cm
Width 38cm
Depth 13cm

The shoulder straps on the Bison pack are padded as opposed to plain webbing on the Nessmuk.
I hope this helps
Neil

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Neil,

Thanks for the sizes, I'm surprised that the Bison Bushcraft Pack is only 4 cm wider then the Nessmuk pack and the height and dept are the same.

The Bison pack is quoted 43 litres and the Nessmuk 30 litres that's a 13 litre difference for just being 4 centimetres wider, my math must be faulty as I only gain about 2 litres with that size enlargement?
Backpack sizes have always boggled my mind ;).

I love the idea of padded shoulder straps and the axe sleeve is a nice feature that I also have on my LLBean Classic European Waxed backpack, even on both sides.

Cheers,

Bagheera

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have both the Bison Bushcraft pack and the Duluth Rambler and like Squidders I would say the Rambler is much much bigger.

I use the Bison as my travelling light day pack when canoeing and the rambler as my more complete day pack. On overnight trips I usually use both which probably tells you more about my packing than it does about the packs :rolleyes:

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Thanks John,

For the info about both packs.

Any chance you could snap a few photo's of the Bison Bushcraft pack (and Rambler if you can) I'm especially interested in the back where the shoulder straps attach.
Also the shoulder straps and if possible the inside (pouches).

You pack to much I think, my daughter just packed my Vulcan backpack for a 6 month stay in Australia and she is allowed only 20 kg on the plane and managed to stay at 19.4 kilo including the weight of the Berghaus Vulcan :)

Cheers,

Bagheera

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Thanks John,

For the info about both packs.

Any chance you could snap a few photo's of the Bison Bushcraft pack (and Rambler if you can) I'm especially interested in the back where the shoulder straps attach.
Also the shoulder straps and if possible the inside (pouches).

You pack to much I think, my daughter just packed my Vulcan backpack for a 6 month stay in Australia and she is allowed only 20 kg on the plane and managed to stay at 19.4 kilo including the weight of the Berghaus Vulcan :)

Cheers,

Bagheera

I'll try to get some photos but it is likely to be a few days before I get the chance.

I know I pack way to way to much stuff but it is going in the canoe anyway and I never get cold, wet or hungry :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE