Frog/Toad?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
I was mooching around the garden a bit earlier and discovered that apart from the Ferret and the Parrots we have another kind of critter inhabiting the place.

I have no idea whether it's a frog or a toad but it definately didn't look normal to me whatever it is? It looks deformed, what ya reckon?

64jj2w.jpg

r7rxxx.jpg

2qak1eh.jpg

It can't be starved, my veggie plot feeds half the slugs n snails in Kent! :yikes:

Si

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Cheers, he came out of a big flint pile so doubt there's much water for him under there but it's been lashing down for the last 3 days and my garden is pretty damp over that side normally. I don't have a pond so he's outta luck, could prolly fill up a dustbin lid or something out of the water butt, that do him?

Si

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
After the breeding season common frogs leave the water & take to the land until hibernating. they will occasionally return to water if it is particually hot & dry during summer...no need for water especially as it has been raining...this critter has either missed a few meals or has some kind of infection, possibly fungal...not much you can do unfortunately.

Last edited:

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Damn :(

Just knocked him up a quick swimming pool too, put rocks in it so he could get out easily and used rainwater so no chlorine and stuff, the 'flintery' is crawling with slugs he'd have to be blind, must be like you said blacktimberwolf, shame. :(

5zobdg.jpg

Si

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
I would have but can't find the little bugger, if you saw the 'flintery' you'd see why :lmao:

He outta find it, it's bright red hahaha, I'll keep going out and having a look just in case, but he can definately get in and out easily, I pushed it right up to the rocks and put different size rocks in there so he hasn't gotta jump in case he's not able to.

Edit: Nope just been out again, had my lad looking aswell and no frog. :( He's probably hiding now as I disturbed him earlier, I'll check again when it gets dark, I'm getting paranoid about where I step now, keep thinking I'm gonna squish it lol.

Si

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The birds will appreciate it even if Mr. froggy doesn't....:D

Do you think he could have been trapped under the flint ?....might explain his cadavaric physique, hasn't been able to feed.

Last edited:

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
No, cause I was actually pulling up some dandelions and he must've been sitting under the weeds next to em, I just saw a movement out of the corner of my eye, and then when I looked closely I saw him, he didn't look quite right then but could only see part of him, it's only when he actually moved off that I saw the big ridges on his lower back., that's why I went to get the camera. :(

Yeah I'll leave the pool out there lol, it's not in the way and will soon be covered in moss so it'll blend in, a few more birds in the garden might help with the slugs and their pals, trouble is most of the birds in my garden are either seagulls or parrots and they scare off the smaller ones. :(

Si

Last edited:

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
There is some discussion about frog or toad with some experts saying that basically they are one and the same as such.
On the other hand most people say the main differences are that a frog has smooth skin with a toad more warty in appearance.
Frogs also feel more damp but a toad feels dry (try not to handle them too much though).
Toads generally seem to walk but frogs hop it's claimed but while a frog will do this when moving quickly I have seen them also walk but only very short distances when moving to shelter or food.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
I used to always assume as a youngster that it was the size that determined frog or toad, we often found toads in my Mums front garden, big ol rough things as you say, but then one of my Uncles had a breeding mini colony of Natterjack toads in his back garden which he was very proud of as they're quite rare in the South East of England apparently, they seemed to me to be pretty small though so I gave up. It's either a tadpole or a frog/toad.

I'm pretty good on most other animals but amphibians, forgs/toads/newts I dunno, I do know a Great Crested & Palmate newts as we used to have both in the garden as a kid but that's about it. :(

Still haven't found the lil bugger either, keep checking the old pool but nada so far maybe it died it didn't look too good to me :(

Si

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
In the UK, smooth skin, pointy nose, tendency to jump = frog. Warty skin, round nose, crawls = toad.

Outside the UK it just doesn't work.

Same sort of thing for butterflies and moths - no true distinction.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Common frogs in the UK come in quite a variety of colours - greens, browns, reds, yellows and black.

Harvestman gave the best description of telling them apart. Also, if you pick it up and it urinates on you, then its a toad.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
I'd be calling it alot worse than 'toad' if it peed on me lol, I think if I ever find the lil fella again he can just hop. Looking at the weather he's prolly swimming for his life out there, absolutely bucketing down. :(

Si

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Yay! I've found the frogster dude and he's still alive. :D

He wasn't actually in the 'pool' and not looking quite as skeletal as he was so I put him on a rock in the pool just in case he's blind and stupid and took some pics, just gotta re-charge the cam before I can upload em but he is looking 'better' if not good. Grabbed a quick slug for him to munch too and put it on a rock in the pool that it can't escape from. ;)

Si

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE