Free Cramp ball!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I collected a load of cramp ball fungus yesterday - there's loads of it where I 'keeper.

If anyone would like some, perhaps because it's scarce where you are or you just want to have a look to confirm what it is before you go collecting yourself PM me with your address and I'll send some.

It's wet atm so will need drying out before it can be used.

I think we better restrict this to UK only, I don't know what the rules are for sending overseas and I don't want to get into trouble...

Cheers

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
PMs received from

Jason01
boaty
Motorbike Man
Hillwalker
Blankfisherman
Match

Still a couple left if anyone else wants some...

Cheers

Mark

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Bugger only just seen this, my local woods are mainly oak and I can't seem to find cramp ball although I look for it every time I go out. Would you let me know if you come across any more? :)

Scott

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Good point Biddlesby,
Could some of the members who have regular supplies of these common fungi, point out to those of us that don't (yet) where is the best type of place to find them.
I know that tinder fungus (true & false) grows on birches, but is it best to forrage around lowland woods, plantations, roadsides, chalkdown etc etc?
Most of the fungi that I come across is a very slimey brown goo!

TIA

Ogri the trog

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
I found out what cramp ball was recently when I did my Greenhorn course, and I realised that it's something that I'd been seeing quite a lot while out laning.

I've been seeing it on the trunks of (mainly) fallen Ash trees, which is where I think it is most common. If I happen to come across a large amount I'll take some and post here. So far I've only taken a small amount for myself and just left the rest, but I made a mental note of which lanes I found it on.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
The Cramp ball fungus I collected was on various different dead trees. Ash, Elder, Beech and even Oak. To my knowledge not pines though.
It grows in shady woodland and close to the ground so I presume it's a damp lover! At this time of year it's often hard to see with all the undergrowth so high, does anyone else have 6 foot stingers?

I'm surprised at the takeup of this as well. I'm planning on going out tonight as well so I'll see if I can get some more. I'll let you know.

For those that don't know, let it dry out, it wieghs very little when dry. But be carefull, as it dries, it releases the spores as a black powder. They will get everywhere if you put it loose in the airing cupboard ! :eek: You have been warned...
When dry break it open to reveal what looks like silvery tree rings. Put a spark onto the rings and blow on it. It will glow and you have an ember ! You can use this to light a tinder bundle in the usual way. It's good because it can allow you to have a couple of goes with the one ember if you need to. And it smells nice when it's burning :D
I'm told you can even cook using only cramp ball like charcoal - but I've never tried it. You'd obviously need a fair few !

I'm doing the parcells today/ tomorrow.

Cheers

Mark

Buckshot said:
The Cramp ball fungus I collected was on various different dead trees. Ash, Elder, Beech and even Oak. To my knowledge not pines though.
It grows in shady woodland and close to the ground so I presume it's a damp lover! At this time of year it's often hard to see with all the undergrowth so high, does anyone else have 6 foot stingers?

Cheers

Mark
The stingers round here aren't just 6 foot, they lift weights and box too :eek: :D great for dordage though :rolleyes:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Buckshot,
Even though I was too late to get onto your mailing list, I'd like to thank you for this very generous gesture. It's not often that people will make an offer like you have. You've restored a little of the lost faith in society.

Cheers Buddy

Ogri the trog

Ronin

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2004
Penzance, Cornwall
Aw, shucks...go on then :rolleyes:

I can probably get a good harvest from the Ash tree behind our stables this week and will dry them too.

Bucks, mate what are you sending the balls out in? boxed I assume? :confused:

Got a couple of hundred rabbits if anyone wants one ;) They go round in gangs here, picking on the buzzards etc. :D :eek:

PM me for the cramp balls..got some in the garage that can go at the weekend

Apr 29, 2005
Hampshire
Ogri the trog said:
Buckshot,
Even though I was too late to get onto your mailing list, I'd like to thank you for this very generous gesture. It's not often that people will make an offer like you have. You've restored a little of the lost faith in society.

Cheers Buddy

Ogri the trog

........ Precisely. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE