Forestry Commission- Wild Camping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I've had a search on here and checked on the FC website and there's nothing to say wild camping/bivi/hammocking isn't allowed but nothing to say it is either. Before I contact them does anyone know?

rancid badger

I've had a search on here and checked on the FC website and there's nothing to say wild camping/bivi/hammocking isn't allowed but nothing to say it is either. Before I contact them does anyone know?

It certainly isn't allowed in Kielder District, no idea about down south.
I was a guest at a national F.C. Recreation conference held up here last summer and there was one F.C. Ranger, I think, from Dorset-who seemed to have an arrangement with some sort of group allowing them access.

Basically, ask, I would suggest seeking out either the Chief Recreation Ranger or their boss; the Recreation Manager.

R.B.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
They tend to allow only organised groups like scouts.

I have personally approached my local manager. He said that he couldn't give me official permission on behalf of the FC but he said that if I inadvertantly stayed a bit later than I should he wouldn't mind :) He also said to quote his name if anybody challenged me.

A personal apporach is the best as rancifd badger suggests.

Pablo.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I approached the local ranger and had a word. I was given permission on condition that I left no trace, and wasn't obvious about it.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Walk more than a hundred yards away from the track and nobody notices you are there as long as you don't have a bloody great big fire going next to a yellow tent*.

*This post might not reflect the opinions of BCUK and may actually be against the law, people might complain and kittens might die, but at least by the time anyone notices it will be morning and you will be on your way somewhere else

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
...kittens might die...

Prophetic words Demographic ...

cute_kitten.jpg

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
It is allowed in plantations in Scotland, I had an email discussion with one of the FC guys who encouraged wild camping, saying it was fine to use dead wood to build shelters as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE