Footwear around the camp at night

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I meant to share this a while ago but never got around to it. After a day walking about in boots, what better then to slip into a pair of slippers. Of course, you couldn't do this outdoors, or could you? I recently went bushcrafting with a friend who pulled out a pair of beach/surf shoes, made of neoprene with a durable rubber sole.

What an amazing bit of kit. I ordered a set which set me back about 10 euros including delivery, and used them on my next outing. Cutting about the camp it became obvious that they weren't waterproof, but I sort of guessed that already!! Saying that, I could feel the ground and was able to creep quickly about the camp without snapping twigs and the like, so they could possibly be used for tracking/stalking aswell. They have an insole inside aswell and are machine washable, in fact, I wear them at home about the flat so that if I need to go in the cellar, I just go.

I also wear them in my fart sack at night so that if I need to get up and answer the call, I don't have to mess about sticking my boots back on, then taking them off afterwards. They are so light and comfy I don't even realise they are there. I've been told that some of the British Forces such as Royal Marines also wear them to bug out in if necessary, although when I'm doing military, I tend to sleep ready to go with my boots on!

Has anyone else used these shoes, and if so, what do you think of them?

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Dunno about your particular shoes but I picked up a pair of Samsonite black neoprene travel slippers from TK Maxx for a couple of quid. Apart from looking like a ninja they pack away to nothing and allow you to pad around the grass without putting boots on.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I've had some shoe ones for a year or so, and as they are so light weight, I use them about camp too, but also for wading. They grip really well on wet rocks and of course dry out quickly. Handy if the water is going to come over your nice expensive Danners...

I also have some boot ones which i use for wet wading when fishing as again, they grip wet rocks really well and keep the feet warm. The downside is that you can feel every single stone which hurts like hell if you are doing any mileage, and also wear thin quick dry socks (liners) if you are going to walk in them to stop rubbing and it also makes getting the wet boot off again after.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
spamel said:
I meant to share this a while ago but never got around to it. After a day walking about in boots, what better then to slip into a pair of slippers. Of course, you couldn't do this outdoors, or could you? I recently went bushcrafting with a friend who pulled out a pair of beach/surf shoes, made of neoprene with a durable rubber sole.

What an amazing bit of kit. I ordered a set which set me back about 10 euros including delivery, and used them on my next outing. Cutting about the camp it became obvious that they weren't waterproof, but I sort of guessed that already!! Saying that, I could feel the ground and was able to creep quickly about the camp without snapping twigs and the like, so they could possibly be used for tracking/stalking aswell. They have an insole inside aswell and are machine washable, in fact, I wear them at home about the flat so that if I need to go in the cellar, I just go.

I also wear them in my fart sack at night so that if I need to get up and answer the call, I don't have to mess about sticking my boots back on, then taking them off afterwards. They are so light and comfy I don't even realise they are there. I've been told that some of the British Forces such as Royal Marines also wear them to bug out in if necessary, although when I'm doing military, I tend to sleep ready to go with my boots on!

Has anyone else used these shoes, and if so, what do you think of them?

I've been wearing something like that for quite a few years now (Columbia Big Wilds) but recently switched to Merrell Waterpro Ultra Sports. The Merrells breathe better and offer more support which is nice if you like to do some exploring around camp without wearing the heavy boots.

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
I don't have any of these but 1 pair of boots I have are a 2 part boot with a goretex inner that can be taken out and press studded back in. They are made so that at camp you don't have to struggle with boots everytime you want to walk about.They also dry easier if you take them apart.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
British Red said:
As opposed to dry wading? :D

Yes, that's right...:rolleyes:

Dry wading is wearing waders such as my goretex ones with wading boots (like synthetic hikers but with studs) and hence you stay dry, wet wading is shorts and shoes, and of course, you get wet.... ;) Best used as a summer activity...

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
last time i camped i took a pairs of shoes because i had no water proof ones! i wore the dry ones when around camp. it sounds like a OK idea but i think its abit like taking too many household comforts out into nature - i like it raw!

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I use those soft cotton chinese slippers, the one used by kung-fu practitioners. There are two kinds, all cotton with a thick layers of cotton as a sole or ones with a plastic sole.I have glued on sheet rubber to the sole (salvaged car inner tube). Use evostick, coat the cotton and let it dry, then the inner tube and when tacky, just slap it on. A coat of water proof spray on the uppers and they work very well. Soft, light, pack flat and reasonably moisture proof.

Indians apparently had 'camp' mocasins so I am informed. A soft pair for tent and evening wear... how civilised!

Sandsnakes

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Freddy Mercury?? Fulfills both requirements...

Oh, you mean the other type of Indian? I beg to differ...

felipe.jpg

This really made me chuckle though:

ymca.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
flip flops from the pound shop, also useful in the tent, to slap my lad round the head when he starts to snore, and believe me, he can snore :rolleyes:

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
In cold weather you could try these:- Sierra Designs Boot

The apparently have a heavy duty nylon sole and DWR coating to protect the down so could make short forays to answer the call of anture at night etc. Probably not best for extended periods in wet/muddy conditions .......... unless you got a gortex boot liner to go over them ......

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
A pair of soft trainers. When I was trekking in the High Atlas, during the evenings when I wasnt moving around too much or had to get up in the night to take a dump in a hole in the ground, I wore a pair of Squash shoes. I didnt bother tying them or anything I just tucked in the laces n slipped em on. They also compressed well and fitted in my bag well. However its always a good idea to store them in a black plastic bag lined pillow case, as Iv had some rather unpleasant experiences with the sludge covering the floor of a turkish toilet, where someone has missed.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i have a pair of thinsulate lined fleece booties with waterproof soles i picked up for a tenner in a camping shop. ideal for hammocking as i can slip them off and keep them in the hammock without causing myself discomfort.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE