Folding saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Interesting thread in a lot of ways, Why does it need to lock closed :confused:

It will bite you???? In case it comes open and rips into your sleeping bag????

I have been using folding saws that don't lock when closed for a very long time and have not been bitten and I have never had one go berserk and eat into my sleeping bag, but then I always pack tools that are for cutting right next to my sleeping bag, NOT.

I currently use a an Opinel saw, the cutting ability IMO is better than a Laplander, before people write it off because it doesn't lock when closed use one and carry one.

The only real problem that I have ever had with a folding saw was when I leant one to my platoon sergeant in Kenya, he snapped the blade, it was an early Laplander.

As with both the laplander and the gerber you can also get replacement blades (big down fall is they ain't cheap), they are very good. I just cannot see why you require a saw to lock when closed?????

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
ah the opinel

i'm guessin that the blade is not replacable...

....have u ever needed to re-sharpen it? how easy is it? i can do handsaws....well could until someone pinched my saw-set. grrrr!!!

i prefer wooden handles. i've been considering a little project to fit a laplander blade to a home made wooden handle. jus need to research the lock a little.

as for keeping it closed well i've used a cable tie to jus loop over my cheapo folding saw.....but mostly i dont bother.

leon-1

Aahh the Opinel indeed.

Yes you can get replacement blades I chatted with Axminster about them, they are not cheap in any way shape or form.

Sharpen, I have split blocks of ebony, Mgrure and zebra wood using an OIpinel saw, I do most of my cutting using one, it has not been sharpened since it was bought about 2 years ago (I like my tools sharp, ask Lithril or any of the others on the Dartmoor meet about the axe) and it has been cutting through seasoned and green wood quite a bit in that time.

It is also worth speaking to anyone that uses one of these saws or who has had the chance to use one and compare it to a laplander, it may surprise you :)

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
hmm (stroke of wot can only be loosely described as a beard) :rolleyes:

sounds like i may abandon my handle project afterall....or jus get one as well :D

are the opinel replacement blades expensive too?

i had wondered about sharpening..... 'are they those annoying hardened toothed blades' like most hand saws seem to be these days???

also has anyone of u laplander wielding types experienced any wear on the protective coating on the blades at all?

leon-1

Scruff the laplander does have wear on the protective coating, the teeth are slightly offset and it is a good efficient saw.

I prefer the Opinel in comparison, similair size / weight, but it cuts very well and possibly slightly faster and with less effort than a laplander. The blade has no coating.

Yes the blades are expensive, I will look out the price quoted to me by Axminster and let you know by PM if you are interested. :)

I have a beard, I stroke it because I haven't got a dog and I find it relaxing :D , unfotunately I am off to the barbers today :(

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
"Yes the blades are expensive, I will look out the price quoted to me by Axminster and let you know by PM if you are interested."

yes please :)

"I have a beard, I stroke it because I haven't got a dog and I find it relaxing , unfotunately I am off to the barbers today"

dont do it!!! it'll increase the risk of 'chin'-blanes :D

ooh that was bad!! ha ha ha!!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Has anyone tried "silky" folding saws. My friendly tree surgeon swears by them. He has a laplander sized one and a pocket 6" ish one - Ideal for a pack me finks. :cool:
I fancied the little Opinel - 6" ish again,the blades look really good to my eye. but he insists that Japanese Silky saws are the dogs nads and the standard among the pros (bit pricey mind).
Any ideas ?

Cheers
Rich

leon-1 said:
Interesting thread in a lot of ways, Why does it need to lock closed :confused:
I certainly wouldn't write a folding saw off just because it didn't lock closed, however sometimes when I go out for a forage, I use one of those expandable bumbags that extends into a day say as you need it. This means that to begin with, all of the stuff I carry is simply dropped into the bumbag. Now,I'm not saying that the saw will open a little while I'm walking and bite me if I am careless as I put my hand in the bumbag (not that I would ever be careless of course :rolleyes: ) but I like the security of knowing that the blade is locked closed and therefore can't open in the bag and bite me should I be careless :D

leon-1

MBM, I do know what you mean, but I have yet to get caught by a folding saw that does not lock when closed and I normally place the saw in either the pouch or sack with the hinge up. :)

Rich the Silky saws are very good, I have used one, but do not own one and as such can't tell you a lot about them :)

leon-1 said:
MBM, I do know what you mean, but I have yet to get caught by a folding saw that does not lock when closed and I normally place the saw in either the pouch or sack with the hinge up. :)

Rich the Silky saws are very good, I have used one, but do not own one and as such can't tell you a lot about them :)
I totally agree and I've never been caught either, but knowing my luck now, the next time I go into my bumbag, the lock will have failed, the saw will be open and I'll lose a finger tip :rolleyes: :D

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
Roving Rich said:
Has anyone tried "silky" folding saws.

I have the Silky Pocket boy
I think it's great but then the only comparison I have is my leatherman.
and the last time I had to use that in anger was cutting 20 bits of 2 x 1 for some show and I got very chafed knuckles.
For some reason I have avoided using it since

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I'm a Laplander owner and it is a fine saw.

I'm also one of those mentioned who attended the Dartmoor meet and had the pleasure, and it was a pleasure, of using Leon-1's Opinel saw.

The blade is slightly longer so less strokes needed and it definately cuts faster than the Laplander.

If it wasn't for the fact that I don't need two saws and I had infinite funds I'd buy an Opinel.

If your really worried about your saw opening in your bag just slip a rubber band around it.

Dave

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Pretty much just reiterating what Moduser said, I've got the laplander and do love it but I've also used Leons Opinel and do like it... lots. Preferred choice between the two, not really sure, but I won't be ditching the laplander any time in the near future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE