Folders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I just found my doug ritter mini this morning on the floor, with the handle chewed by the dog, and the drawstring pouch shredded.

Little :tapedshut

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I just thought I add a few more thoughts to what I mentioned here above.

I'm not one of those who believes carbon steel is the only way to go, mainly because I'm not really prepared to give them the extra care necessary to keep the rust away. They do seem to take a keener edge but a stainless blade is good enough for anything I'm going to use it for. But I still have a few knives with carbon blades that do get used, one of which is an issue army signal corps knife from WWI that came by way of my wife's grandfather. And I have one fixed blade (German army issue) knife that has never seemed to be sharp enough to be really useful for much of anything. It therefore doesn't get out of the house much at all.

I have always found tiny Bucklite folding knives with about a 2 1/2 inch blade to be very handy and very loseable. I also found they weren't that great for peeling anything either. So something just a little longer turns out to be a little more practical for all-round use. Regular kitchen knives might seem like a good idea but mostly their blades are too thin for anything but actual food preparation use and you need a way to carry them. However, I already had a couple of leather sheaths that were issued before, or, probably around 1930, for carrying the issue knife and form in the haversack of the US 1910 web gear. And I also note that Victorinox has a regular paring knife that comes with either a plastic sheath or a nylon belt sheath, as well as a "camping outfit" that includes that and another knife along with a regular Swiss army knife, a foon, and a pouch. So someone else had the same idea. A foon, by the way, is one of those new-fangled combination fork and spoon contraptions. Goofy idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE