Fojaroi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hello everybody,
past Saturday an easy trek (just 3 hours)visiting a small, secondary valley, 15 minutes car’s from our house. We want to see the last fojaroi (hard to translate correctly that word, let’s say “made with leaves”): old houses used in past by locals from March to Novembers. Despite the rough look, these houses are a engineering’s sort of miracle; the cover is realized by a moltitude of small branches and leaves of beech, front of the house is always face on South, so the stone wall caught the sun rays, the hot air go high, under the cover and finally escape from the back of the cover, so the cover is always dry and ventilation in guarantee. A cover like this stand for 50-80 myeras, not soo bad.
Leaving from Chiesa Nuova (or Pian della Chiesa according to the locals)

Valle di Seren scenario

Here no problem with robberies or similar 

Let’ s continue

Now we are in Col dei Bof, “windy village”as per the exposed spot

Old cistern for rain water

Now let’s hike the woods

Views on Monte Grappa

1 hour more and we arrive to the fojaroi

My knives today, Victorinox M4 e Koster EDC Prototype

Now let’s leave the valley, is late

This was called giazzera (house for ice): snow were accumulated and strongly compressed inside this house during winter, so you may have ice also during summer

More fojaroi, just ruins nowadays

Out of the woods, is sunset

Note: very efficient my 3 layers today (t-shirt capilene + micropile + mid-layer pile), all my transpiration is outside (iced ), inside I’m dry and warm

Ciao,
Alfredo

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Thanks for posting this. These are stunning photos of achingly beautiful scenery. I have just added your area to my list of places I must visit!

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE