flying with knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
has anyone here flown out of the uk with knives or axes. (I am planning to go camping in finland). where there any problems with customs? Has anyone had difficulties transporting edged tools on ferries?
thanks for your time

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
There are a couple of threads on this subject, I think most agree that as long as the items are securely stored in your hold luggage (wrapped in sleeping bag or similar), then you will have no problems leaving the UK.

I have had a number of problems at foreign airports where it is sometimes the norm is to have people open up their baggage before they enter the terminal building. These airports were Paris CDG, Amsterdam and Budapest.

Never try to travel via Eurostar with anything sharp in your luggage, you will lose the item and may be arrested.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
As I have said before, you could post the items to the destination (local post office) in advance. As stated above, in some areas you're items could be confiscated or even worse, you are arrested. You could try contacting the airline people or customs at both ends just to make sure you can carry the items correctly in your baggage.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
when I owned my own knife company I flew to and from Finland with bags filled with about 100-200 knives.

as long as they are packed away inside your cargo hold luggage there is absolutely no problem, customs may very well ask to see them when you arrive just show them the knives and explain what they are for, no problem.

the eurostar trains may be different and I have no experience of them, but i would advice that you call them and explain your concerns they will advise you of what to do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE