flower tinders?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

isotonicpies

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2005
Are there any flowers that will catch a spark to create fire in their natural undried state? I've never tried any myself but seem to recall strawflowers as extremely dry and wonder whether anyone has used them.

On a different note, the best spart catching natural tinder I have found recently is the seed downs from thistles.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I was playing with thistle-down and firesteel on monday, the stuff took a spark very easily, but the rate of burn burn was phenominally fast. You'd almost need another tinder to light from it. Maybe packing it into a birch-bark tube would help?

Dave

bowsayer

Jul 17, 2005
Motherwell
Hi,

I'm new to the forum but I've spent the last few weeks using thistle down to start fires. (it was for work, honest!!!) You do need a fair amount to keep it going but I found it would flare enough to catch some gorse quite easily. You do have to have the down at the open and fluffy stage, if the flower heads aren't quite open it's too damp but if you open the flower heads it does dry out in about 15 minutes. I must try the birch bark tube idea though, sounds very useful! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE