floating logs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
W

wildernesspilgrim

Heard about floating logs from a bushcraft session recently.
:cold2:
What exactly are these floating logs and what significance do they have for us in the bushcraft world?
:?:

Interesting answers, though I have made an error, :oops:
upon checking with someone on the course, it is an aerial log not floating log.

Thanks.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Using rivers to float BIG logs down stream as a cheap method of transport ...?

W

wildernesspilgrim

Kath said:
Using rivers to float BIG logs down stream as a cheap method of transport...?

During the activity, this was listed as something that was an environment for living creatures, difficult if floating down a stream.

Thank you for your observation, if it was genuine and if it was not my query was indeed genuine.
:hug:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
wildernesspilgrim said:
During the activity, this was listed as something that was an environment for living creatures
Oh I see - critters using them. Good point, never thought of that before... Fish love submerged trees, roots, etc. Frogs too. I guess it's a good place as any to have a look for bush tucker! :wink:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
During the activity, this was listed as something that was an environment for living creatures, difficult if floating down a stream.

Floating logs and other debris that collect along the banks of slow moving rivers provide good shahde that certain fish just love ;-) I'ts a good place to start looking to see if there are fish about instead of walking up and down hoping you might just catch sight of something.

Hope this helps

:)
Ed

T

Tumper

logs often spend time stuck on other debris, or banksides. After a few days, once the decay begins, they become a good larder for many different species of small critters. Larger critters are attracted too little 'uns. a log free floating may be weeks, or months old, only having broken once the decay is bad enough. A bit like a mobile tuck shop of the waterways.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE