Flint and Steel v's reality stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

royce22

Sep 24, 2010
Camberley Surrey
I recently recieved in the post my shiny (well not really) flint and steel set (Swedish Forged Strike a Light). While waiting for it to arrive I envisioned the huge fires I would light.
So shortly after it arrived and several slaps from the reality stick later, I've come to realise it's just not that easy :confused:

So can anyone help with any hints/tips on how to get the best sparks from a flint and steel?

I've managed lots of tiny ones which seem to fly everywhere but onto the tinder (amadou) that came with the kit.

Thanks in advance

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've found it's just a case of persevering until you get one to land in the right spot. Have you tried char cloth yet ?

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Get a flattish piece of flint and hold the Amadou on top of it as close to the striking edge as you can manage. You might want to fluff the edge up a little too first. Then strike away and be patient :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yup, tinder on top of the flint, then strike the flint with the steel, rather than the other way around. It's all in the wrist action. ;)

MikaelMazz

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
The United States Of America
Sometimes (at least on the one I bought and the one I made) you have to strike the steel on the flint a wile untill the steel polishes up and then it gives off better sparks. I also noticed you get larger sparks on a sharp edge of the flint so after the edge dulles up a bit I use the stricker to nock of chips to make it sharper, like flint knapping but be carfull. Other than that I do what iamasmith said eccept I use chared cloth. Good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE