Flavoured Spirits.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Well, we've had some extremely stormy and wet weather here today, as I suspect most have, even Molly showed no real enthusiasm for much more than a couple of miles this morning and about the same this afternoon. So I've put the day to good use; I made my usual couple of litres of Damson Gin on Halloween, but recent posts here with recipes got me feeling a bit
lazy so I went into town and bought a gallon of Gin and a litre of Vodka, along with some Cinnamon sticks, Vanilla pods and half a dozen ripe Persimmons. Lined it all up on the kitchen worktop alongside my recently gifted huge and beautiful half dozen Quinces.

Suffice it to say I've combined these various ingredients into a gallon and a bit of what I hope will turn out to be some delicious tipple to both offer visitors and dispense around the neighbourhood later on in December.

You just can't beat that warm glow you get from having made something carefully that you and others will consume with pleasure in the future :)

Kai watts

Nov 15, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Sounds delicious. My father makes his own sloe gin and it's dangerous stuff. Not sure why but I can never seem to have just one lol.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've never tried a persimmon...but that sounds lovely! Got five gallons of beer to bottle tomorrow to add to the New Years stockpile :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I used Goatboy's recipe for the Persimmon one, nice and simple; 3 Persimmons diced, one pod of Vanilla and one litre of Gin..........gave it a stirabout a couple of hours after combining the ingredients and it already smells
truly delicious. The combination of Vanilla and Persimmon is inspired, I'd never have thought of it but they're excellent together, thanks Goatboy :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I used Goatboy's recipe for the Persimmon one, nice and simple; 3 Persimmons diced, one pod of Vanilla and one litre of Gin..........gave it a stirabout a couple of hours after combining the ingredients and it already smells
truly delicious. The combination of Vanilla and Persimmon is inspired, I'd never have thought of it but they're excellent together, thanks Goatboy :)

Persimminons 3 for 69p in Tesco...now....how do I eat one?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Cheers Macaroon,
I use vanilla in a fair few recipes, it can round out harsher favours and generally softens things. Plus the aroma gets the saliva glands going.
Have tried a lot of different combinations as we usually have an annual martinni competition in the village and good favoured gin & vodka can tip the balance. Though some things like my elderflower sambuca can come out of left field and blow away the competitors. :D
The persimmon & vanilla was particularly nice though, very delicate. Best to use a cheap gin as some of the stronger more powerful ones can overpower it.
Hope you enjoy when its time to taste.
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Most folk don't eat the skin Red, usually I slice in half or sections if I'm feeling dainty. Discard any seeds and eat the flesh, leaving the skin behind.
Best to let them warm up a bit and make sure they're ripe (soft) as if cold or unripe the delicate flavour can be hidden. I don't keep them in the fridge and usually warm in my hands before eating, get to enjoy it twice that way as I like the smell as it warms up. A bit like quince that way as the smell is a big part of the enjoyment.
Hope you enjoy them.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you cut it in half like an apple you can see the centre 'rays'. The flesh in between is the best bit :)
Knowing what I'm going to find inside I just usually cut mine into segments nibble away at them. I don't eat the skin.

Not massively flavoursome, but a wee bit different and quite pleasant. A seasonal treat :)

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales

If at home, I just cut the flower end off and then quarter the fruit lengthways and feed it on in there, skin and all :eek: I've never found them being improved in either texture or flavour b y doing it any other way, and as Goatboy says, ripeness is paramount; they need to be apricot coloured rather than yellow and ripen quickly when left with the good old ethylene-producing bananas.

So far I have: Mango Vodka, Quince & Cinnamon Gin, Persimmon & Vanilla Gin and two liters of Bullace Gin with Bullace from a new scavenge, which if the gin comes as good as the raw taste of them promises, will be a
vintage batch :p

Best of it is that I might, just, get a little drop of it all to keep for myself!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Party at Mac's house! ;)

You'd all be most welcome!!! Nobody comes to this house without the best I have to offer, but you'd have to come in shifts as it's a very small bungalow :eek:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
One of the ones I've tried but not perfected yet is a rhubarb & ginger gin. Tastes nice but as you have to cook the rhubarb a bit first it tends to break down in the spirit and makes for a very cloudy looking drink. Tried filtering it but it still looks muddy. Any ideas on how to clear it up a bit?
Another which was nice was a raspberry & liquorice gin. Uses real liquorice root and it made a real difference though only one stick to a litre as it's easy to overpower it.
Back on the rhubarb was wondering if roasting it first rather than cooking it in a pot might help it stay together better? Any ideas would be good.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would use a pectic enzyme on it Colin. If you look at my blackberry brandy tutorial, I describe using it for the smae purposes. A wine filter and finings after using pectolase should sort it

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Humbug! time of the year :)
Used to dislike the assorted flavoured spirits offered at reenactment post battle sessions. Perhaps sloe gin excepted but I don't see the point in spoiling a decent spirit especially as most are ghastly sweet. Whisky or brandy with a little water will do.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Red, I did wonder about wine making stuff but wasn't sure if the higher alcohol levels would muck it up. Had forgotten about your brandy making tutorial. Will have a read through and give it another go. Cheers for that, it was tasty but looked "dirty". Will let you know how it goes.
Cheers again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE