Flasks, mini flasks and itsy-bitsy flasks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Here's a few more flasks just finished. The big one is for Ol' Smokey and the others will be sold at the Chopwell festival. The smaller ones are ideal for spirits or as proper flask but kiddie size. The itsy-bitsy one is for lubricating oil for a sharpening stone, or it could be used as a hip flask I suppose.

groupset001.jpg

ol-smokey-flask.jpg

This is how Ol'Smokey's flask looked a few days ago.

ol-smokey-flask-done.jpg

Here's how it looks now.

Thanks for looking,
Eric

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Oooh I love them, especially tempted by the little itsey bitsey one. I'm going to force myself to think of a reason for having one before I give in to the temptation :D

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Where do you find the time to make so many gorgeous things :eek: do you have more hours in the day in your neck of the woods than me? Beautiful:You_Rock_

I do them in batches as and when I can. One day I'll cut out a load of flask blanks. Next time I have a spare half hour I'll dampen then score them. Then I'll find time to tool them.

Once they are tooled, I marry backs and fronts and edge glue them to keep them in register when I get a few minutes.

I might leave them for a week then. If I'm pushed for time, I'll set the alarm for half past four in the morning (full daylight here at this time of year) and make all the stitch holes. Then I'll stitch each one individually as and when I can. When they are all stitched, I allocate three or four hours and get them soaked, packed out with barley to give them their shape then I let them dry.

Maybe the next day I'll empty them out an scrape out the grains of barley that got stuck to the wet inner. Once they are all completely dry, I'll dye the ones I want dyed. The ones in the photo above are all natural - that is, there's no dye. That lovely brown is the colour the leather goes when they are waxed, except for the black one, that's dyed.

Once the dye has dried I'll wax them. The waxing is done in batches as it takes a few hours to melt such a large volume of beeswax so I can hot dip them. Hot dipping is best as it allows the wax to soak in thoroughly. The waxing process takes a half day from start to finish so is usually reserved for a Sunday if I have no other committments. Once waxed they are polished and basically that's it. I just fit it all in when I can.

Eric

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi,
Very nice work Eric.
I have made some bespoke small ones like yours for keeping airgun pellets in to hang round the neck.
cheers topknot.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Lovely work there Eric! Sounds like you have a production line going!

So what do you put in that tiny one? a little Wisky perhaps?:rolleyes:

It's the first tiny one I've made, and I only made that to use up a bit of scrap leather. So far I haven't put anything in it except water to check for leaks. I suppose it would make a neat little whisky flask, hung round the neck possibly (with a straw conveniently placed).

Eric

W

Winston Dover

Eric,

Where do you get the leather from for these? what thickness is it? Id love to have ago, tho not sure id be anywhere near to your standards, but just to say I made it and it works is enough to start.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Eric,

Where do you get the leather from for these? what thickness is it? Id love to have ago, tho not sure id be anywhere near to your standards, but just to say I made it and it works is enough to start.

Winston, I get all my leather from Le Prevo leather in Newcastle. I am fortunate in living a short distance from them so I can call in and select my leather sides personally, but they do a fantastic mail order service.

The stuff I use for flasks, tankards and name badges is about 3.5mm veg tanned.

Have fun,

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE