Fjallraven Forester Trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Can anyone recommend these? I guess that they will offer some waterproof protection for my knees and bum as my army issue trousers don't offer any.

And how do you wash them??

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I bought some from Bearclaw Bushcraft last September and they've been really good, I think Tamarack also do them. Very comfortable, soft material, hard wearing and you can get the wax to give them another coat when they wear. Not waterproof as such but they dry very quickly. A good array of pockets including a long narrow one with no top which is ideal for the folding saw. They get washed at the 40 degree setting without any problem and I don't even bother ironing them provided they've been hung on the line properly. I'm buying a second pair soon so I've still got one pair available while the other's being washed...... :)

Old Geezer

Aug 22, 2006
UK
Godfather, I practically live in these. They're well made, tough and so will last for years.

Made of waxed poly/cotton they are water repellent/quick drying rather than waterproof and their performance will depend on the amount/frequency of wax you apply, but if you go sitting down in wet grass you WILL get a wet bum!

To re-wax I just rub them over with the block of their Greenland Wax (after every 3 or 4 washes in Nikwax Tech Wash) and then put them in the tumble dryer for 15 min, taking them out and folding whilst hot. (They will go quite stiff when cold).

I've found them pretty much in-destructible and versatile in that I can leave off with the wax in summer for maximum breathability, and heavy on the wax in winter for maximum wind proofing and water repellency.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Excellent trousers ! Very good for more sedentary activities such as camp wear, woods wandering or wildlife watching. Very good for walking through tall wet grass and resistant to brambles, quick to dry. Brilliant pockets, including a knife pocket.
I don't like them for more active duties such as hillwalking or hiking, I find them too un-stretchy and they chafe !! They are real b@llbreakers if you cycle in them !!
I wash mine at 40 degrees, as falcon said, using half the usual dose of powder. I've had mine two years and have not re-waxed them yet.
Hope this helps :)
Doug.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Incredible trousers. I've got a few pair of Fjällräven trousers made of the well known G1000 fabric. My favourites are the forester and the iceland trousers. The iceland trousers even have a pocket on the inside of the trousers. It comes in handy when drying damp tinder.

You can't go wrong with these trousers!

Michiel

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've got a pair and they are tough and comfy. One slight negative is they are quite noisy and the lower legs are overly baggy, so not the best for stalking and wildlife observation. But great camp/workwear.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have the Greenland trousers. The Foresters are brushed and allegedly quieter.

They are definitely more noisy than moleskin, tweed or brushed polycotton, but not bad, and for 'ordinary' use, as opposed to stalking, they suffice. Well made, comfortable and they just 'feel' better made than even £50 polycotton outdoors trousers.

They are longlasting and on balance are worth the money.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Fjallraven has kindly sent me one of their catalogs but I know of no American outlet for their products, although there is almost certain to be one. The last place I know that had them locally has gone out of business. I bought one of their jackets about 20 years ago and I wish I had bought the next larger size.

Has anyone ever used any waxed Filson garments, particularly their tin pants? They are likewise supposed to be indestructible but they are relatively expensive and at any rate, probably overbuilt for my needs. They say the waxed ones should not be washed. They develop character instead.

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
Iv'e got a pair of Falt Trousers which are the same as the foresters except for a hydratic liner which makes them waterproof. A bit exspensive but i cant falt them. Sorry about that !! They do get a bit hot if your doing a lot of yomping but apart from that their worth every penny.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
BlueTrain said:
Fjallraven has kindly sent me one of their catalogs but I know of no American outlet for their products, although there is almost certain to be one. The last place I know that had them locally has gone out of business. I bought one of their jackets about 20 years ago and I wish I had bought the next larger size.

Has anyone ever used any waxed Filson garments, particularly their tin pants? They are likewise supposed to be indestructible but they are relatively expensive and at any rate, probably overbuilt for my needs. They say the waxed ones should not be washed. They develop character instead.
I've a tin cloth packer hat, it keeps the water out but it's not very breathable. I'd say the pants would be pretty damn tough though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE