First one for the year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blackshuck

Apr 29, 2007
Suffolk / Cambs border
I haven't posted for a while, so here's the fruits of my efforts over the last week or so.
It's my first knife of the new year. Strictly speaking its a conversion of a knife I made last year. The problem was that I built it as a full tang from a recycled piece of Sheffields finest, but I made the handle a shade too small and wasn't happy with it, After a lot of reprofiling, reducing the full tang to a stick tang, then re-grinding the bevels, I re h/t'd just to be on the safe side and came up with this.....

DSCF4218.jpg

DSCF4217.jpg

DSCF4219.jpg

DSCF4222.jpg

DSCF4225.jpg

DSCF4226.jpg

The make up of the handle is copper guard , laburnum, maple, laburnum, maple.
The laburnum was given to me by a friend recently, its incredibly dense and has good figure. The maple is a partially burred piece of root which I got about a year ago. Its the same as the pale piece the knife is laying on. The colour was achieved by pressure treating it with Pentacryl, It also brought out the figure in the grain. OAL 200mm blade 90mm
The second knife is there as contrast in style. I made it a year ago just before this converted knife. They were very similar in overall shape and appearance prior to the conversion.

Comments always welcome,
Regards

David:)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
David
That is a beauty I like the combination of woods and the copper bolster . That maple is a very nice piece of wood. Rrefer tick tangs myself.

Alf

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE