First night in Bivi (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Spent last night in my new spot in my new bivi and it was the first time
i'd slept in a bivi bag. I was told there might be some condensation but
it wasn't bad really. Woke up a couple of times but wasn't bad nights kip.
Woke up this morning to find my water frozen as was my basha, was -4
when i looked at 11pm last night. Prefer hammocking in winter i think but
the bivi will be used more in summer. This new spot i camped last night
is perfect, room for tent/bivi and lots of trees for hammocking, once again
it's Forestry land but it's nice and open just on the edge of a clearing so
plenty of light but also trees right there too. Have made it a permanent
camp now when clearing trees and branches and put them around the edge
for a kind of perimiter. Anyhoos that's enough writing. Here's a few pics.
S7003776.jpg

S7003770.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

DSC01013.jpg

S7003774.jpg

S7003779.jpg

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I've never bivied, so I don't know much about it, but is a tarp neccessary or is it just for storing kit?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Welcome to the club ... I was introduced to bivvying whilst wearing green and still enjoy It (and come to think of it still wear alot of green :rolleyes: )

Is there a reason why you didn't put your tarp between 2 trees? They offer perfect supports and you could increase you living space by raising both ends of the tarp.

Looks like a nice spot tho ... my bushy spot is sloping and so not that comfy to ground sleep, so I am using my hammock more and more these days.

Simon

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Welcome to the club ... I was introduced to bivvying whilst wearing green and still enjoy It (and come to think of it still wear alot of green :rolleyes: )

Is there a reason why you didn't put your tarp between 2 trees? They offer perfect supports and you could increase you living space by raising both ends of the tarp.

Looks like a nice spot tho ... my bushy spot is sloping and so not that comfy to ground sleep, so I am using my hammock more and more these days.

Simon

Simon if you need a camp buddy occasionally give me a shout.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Yes, maybe, I'm thinking the rock may be better placed on the other side of the fire so that the bivi spot receives more direct heat rather than the heat getting deflected by the rock.

I don't think he had the fire on when he was in the bivi, at least for long as he only woke up twice in the night. If spruce is messy, put bracken over it.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looks like a very nice place for a bivi site.
I don't want to be damning or anything but you seriously need to get your tarp more rigid because if it rained or even snowed heavy your tarp would probably collapse or at least start touching your bivi bag which isn't great.
The stick you have used for a pole should be pegged out aswell and why not use another one at the other end of the bivi to give you a full 'A' frame.
Alternatively move into the wooded area a bit more and use the trees like SimonM mentioned.
Alas I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.
Please don't take offence to this just a few tips of advice!:)

Long Stride

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2006
Dundee
Great site for a night out.

I often lower and close off one end of my tarp when its cold or windy. (or both which it often can be up here )

I lower the ridge line and untie one end from one of the end loops.
I then peg the tarp out using the eye holes so it is touching the ground.

tarpdown2uo5.jpg

In the morning unpeg the tarp, raise the ridge line, re-tie ridgline to loop and re-peg using the guy lines.

tarpupxm1.jpg

It can make all the difference in getting a good nights kip. :)

Long Stride

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Sorry for delay in response but my laptop wasn't logging onto the forum for some reason.
The rock between the bivi and the fire is a seat but i'm not sitting around much so not too worried about getting piles haha.

My sleeping bag is a Novak comfort-10, it's only a 3 season but i've use it in -6 in the snow and it's been fine but it is on the large size when packed.

The stick i use for the tarp was a poor choice but i knew it wasn't going to be windy or anychance of rain/snow etc. Usually if i had setup tarp like that i would use a sturdier stick or a tree and have it alot tighter.

I still prefer my hammock and i think at this time of year the hammock might be better but the bivi is great for just throwing down and getting into without any fuss.
Thanks for the tips though, i might try experimenting with ifferent setup of tarp next time i'm out again.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Nice location Clark!

Good idea to build the brushwood "fence" up around your site as it should help to take some of the force out of the breeze and also make you a bit less visible to anyone passing by at a reasonable distance. I suppose it could be considered a breach of the "leave no trace" ethic, but it's hardly damaging to the environment and of course, it'll provide shelter for any number of wee bugs and beasties!

(I suppose if you could build it up to about eight foot tall and use plenty of Blackthorn, it'd keep the lions out too!)

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Thinking of having a night out on Saturday if you're up for it Matt! Anybody else?

Burnley area? Not many hammocking spots but plenty of room for tents!

No potable water either - bring your own!

Simon

Missed this yesterday :eek: I'll see how the land lies with Nat ;) Funnily enough I PM'd you just before happening across this thread :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE