First Look Review - Mountain Hardwear South Col Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I was looking for a lighter rucksack than my Berghaus Vulcan, and spotted this one in at Braemar Mountain Sports a few weeks ago.

After reading some online reviews and comparing it with GoLite and ULA packs, I decided to go with it and got it sent down from Braemar.

Firstly some details:
[h=4]Product Features
    • Weight: approx. 1820g (this can be reduced with removal of the internal frame)
    • Volume: approx. 75 + 8 Litres
    • FlapTop system allows use without lid
    • Durable Dyneema front panel with gear lashing points
    • Webbing loops on lid
    • Rope strap
    • Ski loops
    • Shovel space in front pocket
[/h]

mountain-hardwear-south-col.jpg

One of the things that I liked about the pack was that bits could be removed to make it even lighter. Even so, with all bits attached, it comes in at 1.8kg. Removing the internal frame drops about 400g off the weight, with further reductions possible with the removal of the lid compartment (which transforms into a decent size bum bag). The padded hip belt can also be removed and replaced with a simple webbed belt.

APDC0555.jpg
The various parts of the pack removed

Removing the internal aluminium frame still leaves a decent padded frame on the back of the pack...

APDC0556.jpg

Storage wise, there is the main compartment, accessed solely through the top (with 2 draw closures), an orange compartment that could house a water bladder, and a front snow shovel area, behind the whole of the white material at the front of the pack.

APDC0552.jpg
The orange water bladder pouch

APDC0551.jpg
The Snow shovel pouch

With the top bag removed, (see below) the top rolls down and is fastened by a neat aluminium buckle.

APDC0546.jpg
Top bag removed. The buckles fasten to allow use as a decent size bum bag.

APDC0540.jpg
The top can be rolled down and closed using this buckle and the various attachments on the orange strap.

Although the pack consists of one main compartment (with the two smaller pockets), there are various attachment options on the outside of the pack...

APDC0535.jpg

APDC0554.jpg
I haven't worked out the true use for these two buckles - they form a very small loop with the elastic below them - either that, or Mountain Hardware have attached 2 bottle openers!

A few more shots...

APDC0553.jpg

APDC0545.jpg

APDC0538.jpg

I wanted a decent sized pack that was light and durable and didn't cost the earth. This seems to have ticked all the boxes. I will put a further post up once I have used it in the field (or woods).

Snozz

Attachments

• mountain-hardwear-south-col.jpg
    mountain-hardwear-south-col.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 11
  • APDC0555.jpg
    APDC0555.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice review Snozz

I looked at that pack a few times, it was there in May when we passed through on the TGO and then I nearly grabbed it when we were there a few weeks ago. If I didn't have too many packs already it would've been mine :)

I like the way it comes apart, that lid idea is very cool.

MH gear is quality, it should do you well

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Good review. I reckon the 'bottle openers' are ice axe attachment points. I've not seen these before but I imagine you feed the T-bar bit through the hole at the head of the axe/hammer and then cinch it down by pulling on the bungee, locking it off with the cord grip. That seems pretty neat though I'm not sure how easy it would be with cold hands! Great looking pack; I hope you'll tell us more once you've had a chance to get out and about with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE