First go at making a paddle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I read on the SOTP website a tutorial on paddle making

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/paddle_making.htm

and, needing a paddle for my youngest son and not wanting to spend any money, followed the instructions using and old plank/beam (probably pine)
oar1.jpg

Following RMs advice on making one in the wilderness (or at least the Trossachs) I wanted to use hand tools only: saw to shorten the plank, axe to shape roughly and knife to smooth, however I ended up using a draw knife to smooth and did use sandpaper at the end.
oar2.jpg

oar3.jpg

oar4.jpg

It took about 4-5 hours (in 30min to 1hr bits spread over a week) to make.

Finally it was finished at got some use this weekend...

oar5.jpg

Joe liked it, Jane preferred it to her paddle when in the shallower river.

Things I'd have done differently:
1. Wood, the pine was easy to shape, but the grain did catch a bit. If I get a bit of hardwood, I'd make the shaft thinner...
2. I'd like to have been more aggressive in removal of wood with the axe, as it was easy to do, but I was wary of removing too much, so it left me with a lot to take off with the draw knife/knife.
3. Sharpened the drawknife before I started:eek:

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Nice one John. I think you're being a bit hard on yourself too - - Using a draw knife is hardly cheating. Same with sandpaper.

I reckon Ash would be a good wood to try for the next one.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I agree with Marts. Using a draw knife ain't cheatin'. It's a hand tool after all, not that easy to use and Native people used a one handed draw knife: the crooked knife:D
I like the paddle, it's got a nice shape. Ash is a very good wood for paddle, if a little heavy, but you can make it quite thin and flexible.:)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Thanks for the wood advice, There's a hardwood supplier near here so I may check out their planks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE